Is a honda cbr 600rr a good starter bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I had experience on 2 wheels before getting my F3. It was 20 years in the past and on 250s. First thing my F3 tried to do was toss me off the back end. And even with a mile wide flat spot, it cruised along at 75 mph. The whole time I coulda sworn I was doing 40 (the speedo was broke)

Starting on a 600 with 0 experience on 2 wheels isn't the greatest idea. A person can have all the respect in the world for the bike and its power. But they don't have any experience with a motorcycle's throttle. Most 1st time riders' experience with a vehicle is in an automatic transmission car. Most of those cars you can floor the gas and the car will think for 2-3 secs before it decides to go. Versus a 600's throttle where if the rider opens it too fast just to 1/4th throttle the front end will start to come up.

You're not quite an anomaly since in the US it's a PITA to find a 250 sport bike. So many people start on 600s and most do so safely. But you'd have learned a lot faster on a 250 than you are on your 600. Even 1 season on a 250 would have built a solid foundation so when you bought the 600 the next year, you'd likely only have to acclimate to the weight and the throttle response.

Oh and that last line is kinda offensive.

A new rider shouldn't "think" he needs gloves, helmet and boots. They need that, and a jacket, period
you f3 tryed ot buck you off? seems like you should have learned thorttle control. for the time i have been riding i have never been dumb with the gas enough for it to try and buck me off. as far as starting on a 250 i would have never done it. But hey people do things diffrent, aslong as you respect the bike and use common knowledge i think everyone will be fine. Now if you have never driven a manuel car then i would never tell someone to jump right on a 600 bike. I think driving a manuel car for so long has taught be alot with gearing, slowing down and taking off. I dont really see how you guys can tell people THEY HAVE TO HAVE certain things. I do agree that gloves are a great idea aswell as a jacket. but if they where that big of a deal it would be a law to have to have um. i myself dont like gloves, makes me feel weird, nor do i wear a jacket. For one i dont own one and 2 if i go down hard enough(hopefully i never do) for the need of a jacket then im going to be more worried about more things then roadrash and my arms. But hey people think diffent, like some people wont ride with out a full leather suit, me i like riding and going places and being normal. i use my bike like a car, i go places and not just ride around, hell i could have saved money and bought a bicycle for that.

I say if you have to come and ask question's on rather you should start on a 600 or not you prob shouldnt. And people who tell you o dont get a 600 first, well then if yall was to buy the bikes for them im sure they would be happy to start on whatever youy like. And as far as for the younger rides, you cant group us like that. there are some stupid younger people who ride wild and do not know anything. But there is also those who ride smart and know what they are doing. I know alot of people who ride bikes with nothing but a helment and a few have wrecked and been fine besides alittle road rash.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont want to wear gear? This can be you! Plenty of examples in there on why to wear gear. But its your skin to leave on the pavement. That's your choice.

When it comes to giving a new rider advice however, the most responsible thing you can do is giving them the safest advise. If they choose not to follow it, it's their skin to leave on the pavement too. But then they made an informed choice. Kinda 'Do as I say, not as I do' cause fact is, none of them can do as you do. They don't have the experience to do it and live

And hell yea my F3 tried to buck me off 1st thing. It failed (it took wet trolley tracks to throw me). Took learning the throttle to 'learn throttle control'. The more power you give to someone that has never experienced it before, the more likely they are to **** up when they use it. Glad you made the 1 out of 10 that didn't **** up.

Don't give a new rider the impression that they'll land in that group too

Old 01-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneFastCBR600RR
you f3 tryed ot buck you off? seems like you should have learned thorttle control. for the time i have been riding i have never been dumb with the gas enough for it to try and buck me off. as far as starting on a 250 i would have never done it. But hey people do things diffrent, aslong as you respect the bike and use common knowledge i think everyone will be fine. Now if you have never driven a manuel car then i would never tell someone to jump right on a 600 bike. I think driving a manuel car for so long has taught be alot with gearing, slowing down and taking off. I dont really see how you guys can tell people THEY HAVE TO HAVE certain things. I do agree that gloves are a great idea aswell as a jacket. but if they where that big of a deal it would be a law to have to have um. i myself dont like gloves, makes me feel weird, nor do i wear a jacket. For one i dont own one and 2 if i go down hard enough(hopefully i never do) for the need of a jacket then im going to be more worried about more things then roadrash and my arms. But hey people think diffent, like some people wont ride with out a full leather suit, me i like riding and going places and being normal. i use my bike like a car, i go places and not just ride around, hell i could have saved money and bought a bicycle for that.

I say if you have to come and ask question's on rather you should start on a 600 or not you prob shouldnt. And people who tell you o dont get a 600 first, well then if yall was to buy the bikes for them im sure they would be happy to start on whatever youy like. And as far as for the younger rides, you cant group us like that. there are some stupid younger people who ride wild and do not know anything. But there is also those who ride smart and know what they are doing. I know alot of people who ride bikes with nothing but a helment and a few have wrecked and been fine besides alittle road rash.
Like I said one out o 10 mister I have been riding a month n know it all. When you go down (and YES I said when not if) dont coming crying about your roadrashed ***, back, legs, finger ground down to the bone. Go and be mister cool n wear your shorts n tank top n look all normal n think you're being cool. you will learn just like the folks that have been riding for longer than you been even thought of n they learned why ya LEARN TO RIDE b4 you start worry about what bike you ride, hell the 250's hold their value dayum well n usual seel for about what ppl pay for them.

But wth, its your skin, your ***, and your money. I hope you have good insurance. And remember dont post up on here crying about your totaled bike n your rashed *** WHEN you crash!!

Old 01-27-2010, 06:35 PM

Dont want to wear gear? This can be you! Plenty of examples in there on why to wear gear. But its your skin to leave on the pavement. That's your choice.

When it comes to giving a new rider advice however, the most responsible thing you can do is giving them the safest advise. If they choose not to follow it, it's their skin to leave on the pavement too. But then they made an informed choice. Kinda 'Do as I say, not as I do' cause fact is, none of them can do as you do. They don't have the experience to do it and live

And hell yea my F3 tried to buck me off 1st thing. It failed (it took wet trolley tracks to throw me). Took learning the throttle to 'learn throttle control'. The more power you give to someone that has never experienced it before, the more likely they are to **** up when they use it. Glad you made the 1 out of 10 that didn't **** up.

Don't give a new rider the impression that they'll land in that group too
i completey understand you. If someone was to ask me about gear yeah i would tell um to wear it, but when they see that i dont they are going to think wtf? why is he telling me to do something that he isnt. Its a great idea and most people should wear all the right gear. But im not going to sit here and say o your so dumb if you dont do this or that. Just like it isnt the smartest to talk on the phone and drive but people still do it when they are told not to. sometimes people have to learn on there own. the first time i go down or somethign like that and my skin is on the pavement i sure ill start wearing an jacket. but untill the even tho it might not be the smartest thing i more than likely wont. call be dumb or whatever is just how i am. But atleast we all have something in common at the end of the day, we all love the cbr and agree that everyone should respect a bike rather it be a 250 a 600 or a 1000. They all have enough power to kill you if you arent smart and ride safe.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 PM

Missed the 1 month experience part.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneFastCBR600RR
i completey understand you. If someone was to ask me about gear yeah i would tell um to wear it, but when they see that i dont they are going to think wtf? why is he telling me to do something that he isnt. Its a great idea and most people should wear all the right gear. But im not going to sit here and say o your so dumb if you dont do this or that. Just like it isnt the smartest to talk on the phone and drive but people still do it when they are told not to. sometimes people have to learn on there own. the first time i go down or somethign like that and my skin is on the pavement i sure ill start wearing an jacket. but untill the even tho it might not be the smartest thing i more than likely wont. call be dumb or whatever is just how i am. But atleast we all have something in common at the end of the day, we all love the cbr and agree that everyone should respect a bike rather it be a 250 a 600 or a 1000. They all have enough power to kill you if you arent smart and ride safe.
Now all of that I can agree with!!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 PM

Well true enough. Point is to try pointing people in the right direction at the start. I make fun of PG cause up until recently, I'd have sworn he wore full leathers even when swimming. Full leather = greatest protection. But I personally take the compromise between protection and casual going with jacket, helmet, boots and gloves (with heavy Carhartts pants). But he did try to point the right direction (which I much appreciate) and I chose another.

It's just a sore point with me. A couple acquaintances have wanted to start riding. People have been telling them 'Go big', recommending 600cc and bigger cause "they'll outgrow" a smaller bike too quick. One was told it was ok if she couldn't flat foot the bike, if she had to stand on her tip toes .

If I had been offered a Ninja 250 at an incredible price like my F3, I'd have jumped at it simply to be riding again. But I was offered an F3 for $500 so how could I say no? And I know I'm relearning slower than I would on a 250. If starting on a 600 was so easy, the MSF would use them in the BRC.

Rubber side down, dude (shiny side up forgets you can do that while airborne)

Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 AM

Well true enough. Point is to try pointing people in the right direction at the start. I make fun of PG cause up until recently, I'd have sworn he wore full leathers even when swimming. Full leather = greatest protection. But I personally take the compromise between protection and casual going with jacket, helmet, boots and gloves (with heavy Carhartts pants). But he did try to point the right direction (which I much appreciate) and I chose another.

It's just a sore point with me. A couple acquaintances have wanted to start riding. People have been telling them 'Go big', recommending 600cc and bigger cause "they'll outgrow" a smaller bike too quick. One was told it was ok if she couldn't flat foot the bike, if she had to stand on her tip toes .

If I had been offered a Ninja 250 at an incredible price like my F3, I'd have jumped at it simply to be riding again. But I was offered an F3 for $500 so how could I say no? And I know I'm relearning slower than I would on a 250. If starting on a 600 was so easy, the MSF would use them in the BRC.

Rubber side down, dude (shiny side up forgets you can do that while airborne)
same thing with me, for what i payed for my 600 i could have bought a 250 but i didnt wanna pass up the deal on the 600. so i got it and im learning on it. Now if someone was wanting to start on a 1000 or bigger i would say they are dumb as hell. i dunno if i ever want to upgrade to something bigger than a 600 i love how lite it is and how quick and easy it is to lean, and its not to big.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:46 PM

No one can tell who will and who wont mess up their new shiney 600, or even their 250. There's just too many factors. Who cares? Laugh and point and say I told you so if they wreck, pat them on the back if they don't. Either way... Move on with your life and don't argue the matter.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:22 PM

Dude, as long as you're not a dumbass and respect the machine you'll be fine. 600s are very docile @ low rpm/throttle inputs. Hell, an 80 will put you on your *** your *** if youre stupid. I'll admit, I didnt go thru the 4 ****en pages to get upto speed on this thread, but just use your head.

all this being said, I've been riding bikes since 9. Startedon dirt. Started on streetbikes with a Ninja 250 at 14, and when I got my F4 at 15 and the diffrence was suprising (not to mention my first ride on a liter bike @ 125# lol), but if you get that 250 you WILL be left longing for more power soon enough and you have to kinda twist on a 600 to go fast anyway..The machine will only do what you tell her to. use your head and you'll be fine. Be an *** and it'll just be one more statistic, and one less sucking dry the depleting resources...

get the 6 ;^)

Last edited by kingyeddi; 01-30-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Is a honda cbr 600rr a good starter bike?