Is a honda cbr 600rr a good starter bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kingyeddi
Dude, as long as you're not a dumbass and respect the machine you'll be fine. 600s are very docile @ low rpm/throttle inputs. Hell, an 80 will put you on your *** your *** if youre stupid. I'll admit, I didnt go thru the 4 ****en pages to get upto speed on this thread, but just use your head.

all this being said, I've been riding bikes since 9. Startedon dirt. Started on streetbikes with a Ninja 250 at 14, and when I got my F4 at 15 and the diffrence was suprising (not to mention my first ride on a liter bike @ 125# lol), but if you get that 250 you WILL be left longing for more power soon enough and you have to kinda twist on a 600 to go fast anyway..The machine will only do what you tell her to. use your head and you'll be fine. Be an *** and it'll just be one more statistic, and one less sucking dry the depleting resources...

get the 6 ;^)
But there's an assumption you made in there: people will be longing for more power. That's not a valid assumption. But it is a fact that the bigger the displacement (and now, the newer the bike), the faster you enter the power band from opening the throttle. Your Ninja 250's power band opened up where? Versus your 600's? Versus a modern 600rr's? That's what gets a new rider in trouble: the time they have to react. And with these bikes, often people only get 1 or 2 mistakes (many new riders using up all their mistakes at the same time)

The MSF supplies 250cc bikes during the BRC for a reason. And they've had accidents, some fatal, mostly from runoffs during their courses. Simple throttle mismanagement + freezing (typical new rider reaction) + target fixation (typical new rider reaction). There were 2 runaways during the BRC I took and still the instructors had plenty of time to start jogging after them, yelling "LET GO OF THE THROTTLE!" because they were on 250s On a 600? By the time anyone would have realized they were in trouble, it'd have already been over except the debriding.

Everyone who gets on a motorcycle isn't us. They won't think like we do. Don't take the same factors in consideration that we do. In fact I can guarantee the majority of people that climb on a bike the first time aren't like us. Simple proof: we're all here on this forum. The average user of anything, motorcycle or cellphone or gadget, never visit a forum to learn more about what they're using. The resource many new riders will have is a salesman in the dealership. Who'll sell a 'busa and a pair of Icon Bombshell boots to a 5' 1" girl so her feet can touch and tell her she's good to go.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
But there's an assumption you made in there: people will be longing for more power. That's not a valid assumption. But it is a fact that the bigger the displacement (and now, the newer the bike), the faster you enter the power band from opening the throttle. Your Ninja 250's power band opened up where? Versus your 600's? Versus a modern 600rr's? That's what gets a new rider in trouble: the time they have to react. And with these bikes, often people only get 1 or 2 mistakes (many new riders using up all their mistakes at the same time)

The MSF supplies 250cc bikes during the BRC for a reason. And they've had accidents, some fatal, mostly from runoffs during their courses. Simple throttle mismanagement + freezing (typical new rider reaction) + target fixation (typical new rider reaction). There were 2 runaways during the BRC I took and still the instructors had plenty of time to start jogging after them, yelling "LET GO OF THE THROTTLE!" because they were on 250s On a 600? By the time anyone would have realized they were in trouble, it'd have already been over except the debriding.

Everyone who gets on a motorcycle isn't us. They won't think like we do. Don't take the same factors in consideration that we do. In fact I can guarantee the majority of people that climb on a bike the first time aren't like us. Simple proof: we're all here on this forum. The average user of anything, motorcycle or cellphone or gadget, never visit a forum to learn more about what they're using. The resource many new riders will have is a salesman in the dealership. Who'll sell a 'busa and a pair of Icon Bombshell boots to a 5' 1" girl so her feet can touch and tell her she's good to go.
but see thats just the fin problem, everyone always worried about going faster instead of worrying about learning to fin ride!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, a 600 espacially the RR will be much less forgiving. Dude might run in too hot and wad it up in a ditch or loop it in first due to a ham fist.. I still say she wont more than you tell her to (ok, not much more lol) You wouldnt belive how many guys with liter bikes, busas and 14s that have NO IDEA what its like to run that beater to redline, WOT, in each gear. Or even the first 4 gears for that matter... take it f w i w

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
but see thats just the fin problem, everyone always worried about going faster instead of worrying about learning to fin ride!!!
Well said bru!! My dad was HP when I was a kid. Saw the aftermath of MANY bike related deaths up close and personal so he was quite uneasy about me riding and was VERY strict. Any "hot *******" or a crash as a result of, and I knew my **** was gettin PULLED. I think that alone pushed me to stay on top of my **** as a youngster

edit: off topic. but I was just thinkin back.. The F4 was a 'hand me down' from dad after the motor let go in me N250.. Just remembering how nervous I was the first time I took out that minty 6, fresh off the showroom floor... lol

Last edited by kingyeddi; 01-30-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
Not entirely. Most completely new riders don't know what they want till someone tells them. A guy that's never ridden a motorcycle before and knows nothing about them just finished watching Matrix Reloaded. If you asked him what bike Trinity rode, he'd say Ducati. Ask him the engine size and he'd stare at you blankly till he looked it up on the net.

Or it goes something like this

Noob: I want a motorcycle
Squid: Get a GSXR-600
Noob: Why?
Squid: It's the best bike for a new rider!

Or something like this:
all this being said, I've been riding bikes since 9. Startedon dirt. Started on streetbikes with a Ninja 250 at 14, and when I got my F4 at 15 and the diffrence was suprising (not to mention my first ride on a liter bike @ 125# lol), but if you get that 250 you WILL be left longing for more power soon enough and you have to kinda twist on a 600 to go fast anyway..

Old 01-30-2010, 09:40 PM

Not entirely. Most completely new riders don't know what they want till someone tells them. A guy that's never ridden a motorcycle before and knows nothing about them just finished watching Matrix Reloaded. If you asked him what bike Trinity rode, he'd say Ducati. Ask him the engine size and he'd stare at you blankly till he looked it up on the net.

Or it goes something like this

Noob: I want a motorcycle
Squid: Get a GSXR-600
Noob: Why?
Squid: It's the best bike for a new rider!

Or something like this:
and I assume I'm 'squid' right?? lol

Dont fool yourselves. That Ninjuuuuh250 is garbage. slow. undersprung. Girlsbike. AAAAAAAAANd.. 600s arent that brutal :^p If he wants to learn power delivery, jump on a cr/kx/rm(etc) 80 or 85. Hell get on a 250!! Then come and tell me how massive the power delivery is on your 600...

Old 01-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by kingyeddi
and I assume I'm 'squid' right?? lol

Dont fool yourselves. That Ninjuuuuh250 is garbage. slow. undersprung. Girlsbike. AAAAAAAAANd.. 600s arent that brutal :^p If he wants to learn power delivery, jump on a cr/kx/ym(etc) 80 or 85. Hell get on a 250!! Then come and tell me how massive the power delivery is on your 600...
Nah, you never mentioned the "G" word

But look at what you did say. You started riding in dirt when your were 9. Went to a 250 at 14 (5 years). A 600 at 15 (+1 year). You had 6 years of experience riding bikes with parental guidance before touching a 600cc. And safe bet your dad taught you more than you learned yourself at the start.

You don't see how that prolly made you a far better rider? Definitely prepared you more than the true noob wandering the Honda showroom?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 PM

Nah, you never mentioned the "G" word

But look at what you did say. You started riding in dirt when your were 9. Went to a 250 at 14 (5 years). A 600 at 15 (+1 year). You had 6 years of experience riding bikes with parental guidance before touching a 600cc. And safe bet your dad taught you more than you learned yourself at the start.

You don't see how that prolly made you a far better rider? Definitely prepared you more than the true noob wandering the Honda showroom?
VERY good point, and that NO DOUBT had alot to do with minimum mishaps.. I still think it begins with common sense though.. you know, not going past your comfort/ability level.. Especially if sombody has enough sense to go ask guys that have been doin it for awhile (as in surfing the msg boards).

If you get as much advice and seat time as you can, and are cautious/progress slow and he still loops in 1st/toss into a ditch or is dismembered due to stupidity, then.........

like I said. One less human infidel to drain the precious resources from the rest of us infidels.... Ok. this is gettin repetitive. MAN UP. GROW A PAIR. GET A LITERBIKE!!

LOL

EDIT: I just got the whole "G word" thing LOL I change my previous statement.. GROW A SET. GET THAT NEW GIXXXXXAHH 1000 MANE. WERD

Last edited by kingyeddi; 01-30-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:22 PM

Me? A liter? Figure my F3 has prolly lost a step over it's 15 years... So it might take 4-5 sec to hit 60 mph. Ain't no place I gotta get to where a +2 sec arrival time will make a difference.

I'm good

Old 01-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Only fools start on a 1k!!! Sure one can start on a 600 but only 1 in 10 do so w/o dropping it or crashing.

Anyone who thinks a 600 is slow just doesnt have any common sense!!!

Its simple, if you want to learn how to be a good rider start small n concentrate on learning to ride.

If you rather look kewl, go fast be a parts n organ donor, then start on a 600 or bigger.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:05 AM

HEY! my first sport bike was a 954rr! But i had owned, a 600 shadow and 1300 vtx before i got her as well as dirt bikes and many atvs

Quick Reply: Is a honda cbr 600rr a good starter bike?