Help! Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Problem!

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I really hope this is the correct place to post this problem. I tried searching but came up short. I recently purchased a 2003 CBR600RR a few weeks ago. It has been giving me problems which is weird. When I picked it up and looked at it, the bike fired up fine no issues. I drove it to get gas after picking it up for my trip home , 5 minute ride, and it would not start back up at the gas station. It was able to be jump started and then was able to ride. Had it sitting a few days, it's cold here in Illinois, and wont start up. It cranks up but then all the electronics die out like the speedo numbers and such. I like to think this is a battery problem. I was able to jump start it yesterday and had it running for about 10 minutes. I grabbed my gear to take it for a spin to charge up the battery and popped it into first, the bike died, and then would not start. Same thing I was able to crank the engine then it died out. I am sure if I was to jump start it it would have started up again. I am thinking back and trying to remember if my stand was down but I don't think so. I know the oil is in need of a change and the oil light came on when the bike died but that just seemed to me like if the bike would start then it would go away. Could bad oil be doing this? I plan on changing it this week. Should I grab a new battery? The battery is fairly new purchased last riding season by the previous owner. The bike was sitting for a bit. It has like 27K on it as well if that helps. Any suggestions? I really do not want to have to tow it to a shop. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM

May want to use a multimeter and test voltage coming from battery to make sure stator is working, but everytime you jump the battery you kill some of it, so it very well could just be a dead battery. Im sure more experienced members will chime in soon with better advice

Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Sounds like a bad battery to me.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pull the battery and take it to your local auto-store and have it load tested.

If it checks out ok, follow these links, they'll give you a good idea of
electrical/charging system diagnostics...

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...-solved-27739/

Technical Resources - Resources for Electrical Systems on Motorcycles and ATVs - ElectroSport

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 PM

I hope it is just the battery. I will take it in to get it load tested this week.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Registered Users

maybe have just got a bad battery..sometimes new batteries can go bad quickly for no reason at all. My battery needs replaced, a few nights below 30degrees killed mine.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Change the battery and get a tender. All the jump starting will kill the battery. Motorcycle battery are not like car battery where you can ride it and charge it easily. Motorcycle is much more sensitive...a brand new motorycle battery can die out during a cold crank, when you forget the choke. It happen to me...brand new battery and park bike for 10 days or so, cold start but I forgot the choke. By the time I realized I forgot to pull the choke, I've tried dry cranking for a good 20-30 seconds...battery dies. Put it on a tender for a bit, pull choke started fine. Draining out the battery like this kills it faster stupid me for forgetting. Sometimes if you flooded the carb, keep cranking it, that'll kill the battery too.

1. Change battery.
2. Do a basic tune, motor oil, oil filter, gas filter, air filter, spark plugs since 27K..

You want your bike to fire up without any hesitation...sometimes foul spark plugs don't ignite easy, so you crank & crank...it just kills the battery even if new.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 PM

Don't worry about the oil light when it dies I have an 03 and it's normal when the bike isn't on because there's no pressure. Best thing is a new battery and maintainer as said above, cold and sitting are 2 big killers on the batteries.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 PM

you can always do a load test by putting a voltmeter on the battery and trying to crank it and see what the voltage is as your cranking it shouldn't drop more than 2 volts max and should start out at 12-13 volts.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cycle gear test battery for free.....no cost & they have the proper tester.