general pre winterization question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: general pre winterization question

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

i do, and it's high every year. you say you took your BMW out of storage and felt a small hobble, then it went away, and then came back... that doesn't sound like a flat spot to me at all... but ok, fine, whatever, i don't really care about your car... what about the bike?
I said the hobble went away? No. I said the hobble existed out of storage (noticed on the first few miles) and continued for the remaining milesuntil subsequent tire replacement. Bad sentence structure on my part...sorry about the confusion....blame it on NH schools, Al Gore,Canadawhatever...

Anyways, both bikes were very similar to the cars. My first bike was stored for 6 months (?) the first year I had it and it came out with a hobble in the spring and never self-corrected. New tires made hobble go away.

Second bike was the same thing, stored for months, came out with a hobbleand that's when I finallylearned my lesson to keep weight off the tires if the vehicle isn't going to move for a few months.

Keep in mind when I say "storage" I mean "does not move whatsoever until Spring".

Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: bergs

i do, and it's high every year. you say you took your BMW out of storage and felt a small hobble, then it went away, and then came back... that doesn't sound like a flat spot to me at all... but ok, fine, whatever, i don't really care about your car... what about the bike?
I said the hobble went away? No. I said the hobble existed out of storage (noticed on the first few miles) and continued for the remaining miles until subsequent tire replacement. Bad sentence structure on my part...sorry about the confusion....blame it on NH schools, Al Gore, Canada whatever...

Anyways, both bikes were very similar to the cars. My first bike was stored for 6 months (?) the first year I had it and it came out with a hobble in the spring and never self-corrected. New tires made hobble go away.

Second bike was the same thing, stored for months, came out with a hobble and that's when I finally learned my lesson to keep weight off the tires if the vehicle isn't going to move for a few months.

Keep in mind when I say "storage" I mean "does not move whatsoever until Spring".
hmmm. Mind if i ask you the precise environmental attributes of the storage area and the bike itself? out of all the bikes i've ever stored out at the farm over the past how many years now, this is the first i've head of someone's tires actually flat spotting in 6 months time. I mean, Silicate rubber just doesn't stay compressed like that, and most if not all of today's hyper performance tires (like the pilot power or corsas) are made out of a silicate rubber compound.

are you sure it wasn't a matter of condensation?

Old 11-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Banned

Heeeeyyyyy. keep Canada outta your poor edumicated sentence structure, bub. :P We gots igloos n snowballs...Id be scrred. HHAHAA

Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 PM

hmmm. Mind if i ask you the precise environmental attributes of the storage area and the bike itself? out of all the bikes i've ever stored out at the farm over the past how many years now, this is the first i've head of someone's tires actually flat spotting in 6 months time. I mean, Silicate rubber just doesn't stay compressed like that, and most if not all of today's hyper performance tires (like the pilot power or corsas) are made out of a silicate rubber compound.

are you sure it wasn't a matter of condensation?
Storage was a tarped dome with PVC for supporting the "roof" and a rubber mat for the floor....essentially it was a makeshift shed assembled and placed behind the house. I think the soft ground may have contributed to my issues...who knows?
The other thing is I didn't have the type of hyper-tires you mentioned on either bike. One bike was an '89 ZX-7 (not the ZX-7R)and the other was an '83 KZ-11...neither required hi-performance tires as neither was a really a hi-performance bike. Perhaps another contributing factor?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:19 PM

bias ply ply tire no doubt.