general pre winterization question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default general pre winterization question

Hey all I've read up on other threads re: winterizing and some say that you should lube up the bike to prevent rust...I'm def planning on cleaning and lubing the chain but what else can I lube? and what do you use to lube them WD40? thanks

Old 11-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Default RE: general pre winterization question

Here's what you gotta do:

Park it.

that's it. winterization complete!

WD40 is not a lubricant, so don't use it as one. just park the damn bike and don't touch it until spring.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:57 PM

Heres some slightly more helpful info: your users manual has everything you should do and the frequency in it. Honda spent a lot of time putting it together, so its just as well to use it.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Shouldnt you atleast diconnect the battery negative if its gonna be sitting a while??

Old 11-06-2007, 01:08 PM

I fill the tank with new gas, add Sta-Bil if I have it.....I've done it both ways and not had any problems. Wash the bike normally and park it in the corner. I start it once a month (usually a warm day) and take it for a little spin (6 blocks or so) and park it again. Not once had any problem with battery life or clogged carbs/injectors. I live in Minneapolis so yes.......it's cold here and it snows on occasion. There is usually ONE day per month that you can get it out for a tiny bit to run it.
That's just what I do........No, i dont change the oil before and after winter. I do lube the chain (as I just washed the bike).I have stands but dont put it up on them.
I cant say to do it this way because.....well it's not at all like the **** retentive types or the manuals........but I've not had a problem yet.

If you're worried.........follow the manual, you can't go wrong.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:01 PM

just unhook the battery so the clock doesnt drain it.
make sure the chain is lubed so it doesnt rust with actual chain lube.
wash the bike to get all the road gunk off

you technically dont have to put stabil in gas anymore. it wont hurt though. i like to drain my tank as much as i can just because its not doing any good just sitting there in the tank

Old 11-06-2007, 02:27 PM

geez guys can we not talk about this yet or at least until after thanksgiving, your bringing me down [&o]

Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: !!!!!NJ Ride

geez guys can we not talk about this yet or at least until after thanksgiving, your bringing me down [&o]

The weather here in MI is bringing me down. We got a Canadian system swirling over us for the next 4 days at least.... followed by a day or two of overcast w/broken sun... and then back to crap. [:@] I'm already itchy to get out on the bike. Cars suck.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Users
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u ride in NJ ? me to and u right is getting colder and colder and peoples driving skills get worst and worst (cars i mean) they dont expect to see bikes anymore on the road. i almost got ranover 2-ice last week.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: bieniu

u ride in NJ ? me to and u right is getting colder and colder and peoples driving skills get worst and worst (cars i mean) they dont expect to see bikes anymore on the road. i almost got ranover 2-ice last week.

I don't know if people are getting dumber or I'm becoming increasingly impatient while trapped in a cage, but it seems like driving is just becoming increasingly burdened with me yelling "WTF are you doing?" at people. Earlier, I watched a woman pull up and stop at a major intersection approx 10 seconds after her turn arrow had ceased. The cars on the other side were just starting to move... and she goes for it.... slowly. Taking her sweet time. Unbelievable.

Quick Reply: general pre winterization question