First Bike Ever 2006 RR: Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike Ever 2006 RR: Maintenance?

OK I know...USE THE SEARCH.

I just purchaced my first bike ever a week ago and have already put over 1k miles on it. When I hit 600miles I scheduled my first maintenance through the dealer on this, however that is still a week out. By then i'll probably be ready for my second suggested maintenance. Basically what it comes down to is: What kind of regular maintenance should I do to my bike. I've also noticed a lot of people have those stands for their rear tires and I dont know if those serve a purpose or are they a security measure. If there is some sort of book I can purchace that has all this info or if anyone minds sharing their input with a first time motorcycle owner, who is a complete noob when it comes to bikes. Also, what brand motor oil do you guys suggest. What brand tires are recomended. If you guys suggest that I simply look around the forums that's fine by me, I will be doing that anyways. Just wanted some help in my search basically.

To anyone that post up links or gives valid suggestions: Thank you.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Default RE: First Bike Ever 2006 RR: Maintenance?

Stock....but I still drool

[IMG]local://upfiles/5227/0DB9EC6F786E47C4B8E9E158910395C5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-03-2006, 05:51 AM

wow you waited a week so far?? the dealer I bought my bike from takes all bikes they sell in like the next day..

Old 03-03-2006, 06:09 AM

that's a beauty .. stock beauty .. got one just like urs .. ENJOY

Old 03-03-2006, 06:29 AM

Stock...mines real close to yours but with a few other bells and whistles..but then again mines an 03...

Old 03-03-2006, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: RandomStrata

What kind of regular maintenance should I do to my bike.
I don't quite understand this question, but whatever MOM recommends (Motorcycle Operation Manual)...

I've also noticed a lot of people have those stands for their rear tires and I dont know if those serve a purpose or are they a security measure.
No, they're not a security measure, but more for maintenance like removing the wheels. I also use front and rear stands to keep my rubber off the cold pavement in the winter, because some believe the cement can suck the oils out of the tires.

If there is some sort of book I can purchace that has all this info or if anyone minds sharing their input with a first time motorcycle owner, who is a complete noob when it comes to bikes.
Some strongly recommend books for sport bike riding techniques and general information are:

Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II
Lee Park's Total Control
Nick Ienatsch's Sport Riding Techniques

All three of these books will get you headed in the right direction and if you haven't taken the MSF class yet, get yourself enrolled immediately!

Also, what brand motor oil do you guys suggest.
There's not a darn thing wrong with good ole' Honda brand motor oil...although some will swear there is

What brand tires are recomended.
Since you're a new rider and I feel confident to assume a track day is not in your near future...what your bike came stock with is perfect for the riding you'll be doing, but a lot of people (including me) like Michelin Pilot Powers.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:32 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice Fretless33.

As for the regular maintenance basically i was courious on how often i should change my oil, lube the chain, check/replace fluids, spark plugs, anything really.

But thanks again for the tips and info.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:41 PM

I have another question. How come I constantly hear people talk about track days whenever I'm in a motorcycle shop. I never ask where it is because I'm not ready for that but I'm just wondering if there are dedicated tracks for this sort of thing and its open access to all or do you have to take a test. Also sometimes when I hear guys talk about track days every now and then I hear them talking about guys that go off the edge or into the woods. is that lingo for crashing on the track or are they talking about driving somewhere like Highway 1?

Old 03-03-2006, 11:51 PM

I have another question. How come I constantly hear people talk about track days whenever I'm in a motorcycle shop. I never ask where it is because I'm not ready for that but I'm just wondering if there are dedicated tracks for this sort of thing and its open access to all or do you have to take a test. Also sometimes when I hear guys talk about track days every now and then I hear them talking about guys that go off the edge or into the woods. is that lingo for crashing on the track or are they talking about driving somewhere like Highway 1?
Most of the people I talk with are from southern California, so I'm not sure of the northern region, but I recommend the BARF website (Bay Area Riders Forum http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/ ) to get some information on tracks around you.

Track days are not exclusively for experts, but for anyone with an interest in riding on the track...You don't need any previous track experience, but I would recommend giving yourself at least a year (depending on how well you pick up the basics) before you take yourself to the track. Read the books I recommended before going and you'll have the general theory on how to ride a sport bike and you'll then be able to put the knowledge to use.

Most track organizations have pre-track instruction for the novice group, will send you out with a control rider (usually someone who has a lot of race/track experience) and will put you in a group that's right for your comfort level...you can be as slow as you want...but who wants to be that!!

Save your money, because once you go, you'll be hooked and the track will be all you think of from that point on!

Also sometimes when I hear guys talk about track days every now and then I hear them talking about guys that go off the edge or into the woods. is that lingo for crashing on the track or are they talking about driving somewhere like Highway 1?
Yea, that's lingo for a near crash or a crash...something you hope you never have to talk about...