Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Most disgusting bike maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Most disgusting bike maintenance?

Just finished cleaning and lubing the chain. By far out of all the things I've done so far, it's the most disgusting. Since I do it regularly, the crap doesn't get a chance to build up in the front sprocket. But when I got the F4i and the F3 I don't think either previous owner every took that cover off and cleaned in there.

What's the maintenance you dread?

Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Just finished cleaning and lubing the chain. By far out of all the things I've done so far, it's the most disgusting. Since I do it regularly, the crap doesn't get a chance to build up in the front sprocket. But when I got the F4i and the F3 I don't think either previous owner every took that cover off and cleaned in there.

Chain maintaince as well. Its horrid.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on chain cleaning. When I bought my F4i there was a crapton of old grease, and what I believe to be a dead mouse ground up inside the front sprocket cover. Even after I cleaned it up really well I shudder ever time I take it off.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM

FUEL! I hate f*cking Fuel! I can get oil, coolant, and chain grease all over the place and cover myself in it. But fuel, I hate messing with fuel....

Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Whenever I get to the point in my maintenance schedule to check/adjust the valves in another 6,000 miles it doesn't look like it will be much fun. I will do it myself to save some money and make sure it has actually been done.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:20 AM

I actually don't mind cleaning the chain. I don't do it THAT often but the chain lube my Scottoiler V-system uses isn't as messy as the regular stuff. I do have to take the sprocket cover off and give it a good cleaning but I don't think it will be as messy as the first time I did it when replacing the chain and sprockets. It had this really thick gunk on it.

I've started to dislike working on the brakes just because I've done it a lot. I don't hate it, but it's just the x time I've had to do it. I still have an annoying brake squeal I still have to get ride of (tried several times, this time I'll just remove the rotors to properly deglaze them) and I'm going to order some steel braided brake lines soon.

Anyway, I didn't like replacing the spark plugs. I was much quicker the second time around but they are a real bitch to get to. It's probably also the reason why I'm postponing checking my valve clearance... It's overdue!

The real reason I don't like working on parts low on the bike is that I'm tall and it's tiring to hunch over all day. Once I get a garage I'll buy a lift.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask my riding buddy, he avoids everything to with maintenance. Arrived here for O/N bike ride with 16 PSI in the front tyre & maybe a tad more in the back. Asked when he last adjusted his chain & lubed it? & his reply was "I pressure hosed it last week to get the muck off". I sh*t you not.
The worst job I ever undertook was replacing the seals in my Marzoochi shocks that where on my Morini, I did it without any special tools & it only took 2 days
But most hated maintenance tasks would have to be the forks, lost so much skin & blood from my hands (& knuckles) doing those friggin things. Its like the gods of riding demand some kind of blood offering.
Using all your strength pushing that collar down on the bloody main spring, setting it up in the 1st part of thread & then trying to get it to turn while holding in position, only to have thing pop up at the last 2nd, over & over again..........
And your wife yelling at you to cut out the swearing cause everyone in the neighbourhood can hear you & then apologising later because you really didn't mean it when you told her to f*ck off.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Removing the tank gets on my nerves. The rest I can deal with.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing I am a car mechanic so I do all this stuff all the time. Worst is the smell of burnt gear oil on a manual transmission.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 AM

I don't like having to get out of my chair to go to the cooler to get another brew so I can continue supervising...

Quick Reply: Most disgusting bike maintenance?