Clutch start????

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch start????

Hi all,

Im pretty sure my battery wont have enough charge to start in the morning , and with no hex keys at home get the seat off to charge the battery there's a strong chance I may need a lift to work in the morning.
I will grab a new battery tomorrow arvo.
Is it possible or have any of you ever clutch started an 06 600rr oin 2nd or 3rd gear???
Thanks in advance!

Kearnsy

Old 02-19-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kearnsy
Hi all,

Im pretty sure my battery wont have enough charge to start in the morning , and with no hex keys at home get the seat off to charge the battery there's a strong chance I may need a lift to work in the morning.
I will grab a new battery tomorrow arvo.
Is it possible or have any of you ever clutch started an 06 600rr oin 2nd or 3rd gear???
Thanks in advance!

Kearnsy
I Have an 06 and the end of last year my bike would not start due to a bad battery. Was only like a fews weeks left of riding....cold in morning and at night. I clucth started my bike the last 5 or 6 times riding it. I turned the key on put it in 1st gear and pushed it with my feet(while sitting on it) on a slight decline(my drive way) popped the clutch...boom started right up. If the bike was cold(in morning) it would take 3-4 pushes to get it going.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 AM

I've push started more than one bike and yea, it usually works. However, I've heard that it isn't good on the bike's charging system to go long periods of time riding it with a dead battery.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:19 PM

Cheers boys, thats good news cause the battery is dead as...

SO here goes-

Old 02-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Default Dead Battery

The bike generally won't start with a push if the battery is stone dead. The battery acts as a load to the voltage from the alternator. Having said this, if the battery is too low to start the bike, but still has some charge, a push will generally do it. I recommend 2nd gear versus 1st as it is much easier. Less radical when the bike fires and wants to launch! Also when you dump the clutch in 1st, even the slightest bit of dirt or gravel and the back wheel will lock and the bike won't start.
As a final point if the bike battery is totally shot, I wouldn't push start the bike and drive too often - the bad battery can easily put a very heavy load on the charging system and result in an expensive repair to the rectifier and or alternator system.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bear600rr
The bike generally won't start with a push if the battery is stone dead. The battery acts as a load to the voltage from the alternator. Having said this, if the battery is too low to start the bike, but still has some charge, a push will generally do it. I recommend 2nd gear versus 1st as it is much easier. Less radical when the bike fires and wants to launch! Also when you dump the clutch in 1st, even the slightest bit of dirt or gravel and the back wheel will lock and the bike won't start.
As a final point if the bike battery is totally shot, I wouldn't push start the bike and drive too often - the bad battery can easily put a very heavy load on the charging system and result in an expensive repair to the rectifier and or alternator system.
Bear is correct. When i turned my key all lights came on and tac reset it self, so my battery was not totally dead. The battery just didnt have enough juice to start it

Old 02-20-2009, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bear600rr
Just scored a new battery and all good - now. Cheers for ur post Bear, you obviously know what ur talking about. Do you work in a mechanical trade???? Im a mechanical Fitter, my main concearn was that the "japs" threw in something that would give the system a power surge and stuff me right up.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:43 AM

Just scored a new battery and all good - now. Cheers for ur post Bear, you obviously know what ur talking about. Do you work in a mechanical trade???? Im a mechanical Fitter, my main concearn was that the "japs" threw in something that would give the system a power surge and stuff me right up.

Cheers for you being a dick.....I know what im talking about.you asked if you could clutch start and you can.....You stated,in your own words"Im pretty sure my battery wont have enough charge to start in the morning" So, I thought it just didnt have enough juice to turn it over....you never said it was totally dead until after I posted. Anyone with a half of brain knows if you battery is totally dead this will not work. Again, I thought everything tuned on and you just didnt have enough juice to turn it over. Last time I help you out...seeing how I have know idea what im talking about. Try to help people out and thats the thanks I get..... next time you may want to explain the whole problem not just part of it. And ya your a dick Kearnsy

Old 02-20-2009, 12:06 PM

Gee Kev, Lighten up bro!! I posted b4 I went to bed ,and the 2nd post was roughly 8 hours later when I woke up the next morning.My apologies for the misfortunate time difference here in Australia. Aint fark all I can do about that.
I took ur advice and clutch started it twice today-B4 and after work. Stopped in the honda shop on my way home and got a replacement battery. Do people often doubt ur inteligence??????? And I thought this was a friendly forum where people could ask questions about thier bike. Take a chill pill and relax bro.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Smile

Gee Kev, Lighten up bro!! I posted b4 I went to bed ,and the 2nd post was roughly 8 hours later when I woke up the next morning.My apologies for the misfortunate time difference here in Australia. Aint fark all I can do about that.
I took ur advice and clutch started it twice today-B4 and after work. Stopped in the honda shop on my way home and got a replacement battery. Do people often doubt ur inteligence??????? And I thought this was a friendly forum where people could ask questions about thier bike. Take a chill pill and relax bro.

My bad dude. I took your last post the wrong way. Looked to me you were bashing me because you said to Bear " you must know what your talking about". I thought it was a cheap shot at me for nor knowing your battery was dead. Its hard to get what people are really saying over posts....my bad...