F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Where does your clutch friction zone start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where does your clutch friction zone start?

Hey guys, I want to get a poll from F4i owners about where clutch starts to grab.

Also, if you'd like to comment, does your friction zone move further out as the bike warms up? I know if I've been riding for over 1/2 hour, esp street, the friction zone can move maybe 1/2" farther out and changes my timing between clutch/throttle.

So we're all on the same page, the percents correspond to how much you have released your clutch when it first starts to grab

For example,
10% = Fully squeezed clutch, and the first few millimeter you release it, the clutch starts grabbing.
90% = The clutch grabs when it is almost fully released (farther away from your hand).

Thanks for participating!

Old 09-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Default RE: Where does your clutch friction zone start?

You can adjust it fairly easy by spinning that little washer or whatever where the cable connects to. I like mine at around 50%ish. IMO it creates a more easily smoother transition especially from a standstill.

If your racing or doing time trials or something maybe 10% would work better not sure?
________
Laguna Bay II Condo

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:21 PM

I can adjust the free play using the adjustment next to the lever, but I cannot change the engagement point.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:48 PM

the engagement point can be adjusted on the clutch cover. very similar set up to the one on the lever, but controls where it catches.

i just bought a replacement clutch today. right now mine catches about about 98.5%, and the concept of a friction "zone" is laughable. its either engaged or not, hence the replacement

Old 09-06-2008, 10:52 PM

i would say 50% as well

Old 09-07-2008, 05:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine set near the top - when I do quick upshifts I just load the shifter, ease the throttle, and dip my fingers a tiny bit and that's it - done. Do it really quickly and you won't even know you shifted.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 PM

Mines about 75% till friction, Why would you want it to start closer to the grip????? Whether you tracking or stunting, I think your better off with the engage happening towards the 75 to 90% range .. Yes ? NO?

Old 09-08-2008, 04:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you don't have the cable so tight that it is pulling the clutch lever all of the time, you're fine.

So why shorter than longer? When I want to clutch in I pull the lever about 1/2 of an inch, and a tiny bit more to fully disengage.

It means that my fingers move less distance and can do it faster, and get less tired. I also find when you squeeze the lever further that it is harder to feel it - you start using bigger muscles in your hand and the feel starts to go away. Hey - I could be the weird one... but that's how I do it.

Actually - that feeling bit is a lot like the front brakes too. With two fingers on the lever I can feel it nicely, as I squeeze harder to near max stopping power there is so much force on the fingers that you loose finger feeling - so I have to do it by texture instead of lever feel. It is also why I'm a thumb blipper - so I can feel the lever as long as possible without having to use my larger hand muscles.