F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Friction Zone

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friction Zone

I did some searching on line but I never found all that much about the friction zone. What I am wondering is if it is possible to adjust where it starts when you release the clutch handle.

I am very new to this so perhaps I am misguided but I start to hit the friction zone when the clutch is released perhaps half way. To me that seems pretty far out especially when trying to just feather the clutch.

I have seen info on setting how quickly the clutch disengages. My clutch handle moves a good distance maybe 1 inch before it starts releasing the clutch so I think that is within the spec in the manual.

I guess adjusting the friction zone closer to the handlebar would mean that you would have to pull the clutch handle farther to disengage which would a down side if my thoughts on this are correct.

So is the point where you hit the friction zone based upon the clutch and how new or old it is or is their some way to adjust it. I guess just as important if it is possible what are the implications of moving it closer to the grip?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to find it somewhat of a far reach at first, but I'm now accustomed to it. Your best bet would be an adjustable aftermarket lever(s). You could try tightening the clutch cable more, but the manual states there should be 10mm-20mm of free play.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed^. My buddy just got a set, not sure what kind, I'll ask. But they've just got a little switch for 6 different settings. you can change them ANY time. So for cruising I'd just set them further out, and have plenty of finger room. And the play is easily adjustable as well.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:24 PM

Thanks, I hope you can write what that device is. There is a decent amount of play already and without measuring it seems to be toward the high end of the range shown in the book.

Thinking about driving a standard car I just got used to where the clutch grabbed and never thought about wishing that it should be higher or lower. I am getting more used to it but in very slow turns, especially to the right I really have a hard time.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:45 PM
July 2008 ROTM

You can adjust where the friction zone begins on your clutch by changing the little adjuster that looks like a gear where the clutch wire goes into the handlebar. It's the reddish pink looking thing on the left of this photo (not an F4i, but looks the same and in the same spot) http://www.scrufdog.com/bike/P1000555.JPG

The friction zone is usually far away from the handle bar because it allows the rider to only use 1-3 fingers to pull the clutch lever in, keeping the rest around the grip. That way the clutch is fully engaged even with a couple fingers hiding underneath the lever.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Talking

Like I said I am pretty new to this and never considered that. I still think it engages a bit too far out so I might look to see if I can make the adjustment you suggested. If it is what I am thinking I thought the ajustment was more about how much slack there was in the handle so it was more about where the clutch would start to disengage. Of course I am sure I sound stupid because I think it also has to affect where it starts to engage.

Please excuse me becaue I am going by the theory that the only dumb question is the one not asked and not by the theory that it is better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

So I guess you have no doubt about where I am coming from now.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 AM

Just remember that if it's adjusted too much, it may not fully disengage...

Old 05-01-2009, 10:06 AM

Do you want the clutch to disengage as soon as you touch the lever? You need some play in the lever.