cleaning rubber off exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning rubber off exhaust?

One of the previous owners of my bike did some burnouts with it and there is rubber that flung off onto the exhaust. I knew it when I bought the bike but I finally got a fender eliminator and it is even more obvious now. Does anybody know of a good way to clean off the rubber? I do plan on getting a new exhaust when I have the $$$ so in the end it won't really matter but I'd like it to be cleaner for now if possible.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 PM

Run your bike until your pipes are as hot as they get. I personally used the "back side" of a leather belt to wipe off the melted plastic, the idea is to use a material that wont melt too!!!! You might also want to try using cleaning products while u are cleaning the hot pipe. Either way expect to do a bit of scrubbing( about 5 continuous minutes, depending on how much melted plastic you got on the metal)

It works, ask me how i know =D

Old 07-07-2009, 04:41 PM

If it's a slip-on, take it off and soak the end in carb cleaner. it'll liquify the rubber in a few minutes and you can just wipe it off. If the exhaust's not easily removable, use Brakleen.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:58 PM

The stuff called bug and tar remover works real well, i use it to clean teh bugs off my visor on my lid and the front of my bike, also works real well cleaning the rims, it gets through the chain lube sling off and brake dust real well.

you can get it at walmart or target or anyplace that sells car care items. I highly reccomend it. Its safe to use on your fresh wax, it doesnt strip it.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:32 PM

Thanks, those sound like some good ideas. I will have to try tomorrow and see what I can do.

One more question: So I spent quite a while today installing the fender eliminator and the integrated tail light and the lights worked perfectly when I tried them. BUT, when I tried to start the bike shortly after, it wouldn't start. It makes a sort of clicking noise when I try (read something about a starter relay or something, but not really sure and I don't know a whole lot about bikes and wiring). It sounds like it's coming from under the seat almost. I'm hoping it's just the battery is dead, and I threw it on a battery charger. Since I can't do anything else until tomorrow when it's charged, I'm just sitting around hoping that works. Does it sound like it's probably the battery? Or would you think it's something else?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a dead battery. Hook her up to a trickle charger for a few hours then see how she does.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 AM

i had the same thing happen to me... all the on off and playing with the lights just drained your battery. 99% sure you will be fine after you charge it for a little while. if not, you know where to find us.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Are you getting power to the console when you turn the ignition switch on?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:33 PM

Just a dead battery Charged her over night and hooked it up in time to get to work in the morning...

Now hopefully I can find the time to clean off that exhaust tonight and I will be very happy! Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 AM

sometimes people people mess up when putting these together and pop a fuse. I wont mention any names. ugghh.. myself.. cough,cough.