Chain noise

Old 01-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain noise

Guys i have a question about my chain. Ive been noticing a rattle in the chain, but its in rythem, so i think that a problem might only be in one part of the chain. Im pretty sure that its not the "CCT," I read up on that a little and decided to reject that hypothesis. I decided to tighten my chain a little today to get it back within spec, put it up on the stands, tightened it, and then turned the bike on, put it in gear, and let the clutch out so that the wheel would spin freely up on the stand at idol speed. I looked at the chain, and at the moment that the chain made the "noise" i noticed it was rattling on the sprockets left and right for just that part of the chain, then it would stop, and then when the same part of the chain came back around, it rattled and make the "noise," kinda sounded like a bicycle when your changing the gears while pedaling. Is my chain shot? Thanks.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Default RE: Chain noise

Also, i went and road for a little bit, came back, put it up on the stands, and pushed the wheel around while in neutral and noticed that it would catch at a certain point and it would be hard to rotate.... any advice would be great, thanks.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:27 AM

It sounds like, to me, that your chain is "binding" or siezing up. I would reccomend either taking the chain off and cleaning it really well (you'll easily be able to find the bad links with it off) then try re-lubricatiing and working the stiff links back out. This will have a 50/50 success chance, and it's alot of work... so that leads me to the BEST option...

Replace your chain with a new one. Also, check your gears and make sure that the binding links haven't caused any damage from the extra stress. Other than that... if your gears teeth are still good, then don't wory about them, buy a new chain and lube it up nice, and put it back on the bike and take off!

I assume you're on the original OE chain?

Old 01-25-2008, 03:50 PM

yea i was on an OE chain, i just got done putting on a RK/Vortex kit. Got the 520 conversion with -1 in the front, im pretty pleased with it so far, just sucks that its throwin off the speedo a little, oh well, the chain came with a clip but im gonna go back and buy a rivet master link instead cause im a little nervous with a clip master link