Bike Won't Start Every Time.. I Don't Think It's The Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bike Won't Start Every Time.. I Don't Think It's The Battery

Hey guys as the title states, the bike (2008 CBR 600rr Graffiti edition) won't start every time. Sometimes the bike starts sometimes it doesn't. Basically, I've just been spamming the start button when it doesn't turn and eventually it does. Sometimes it has a weak start and I have to roll the throttle a little bit. Other times it starts up just fine.

It doesn't sound like a battery issue because everything else is ok and the engine doesn't make the flutter click noise.

Here's a video of what it's like... this is NOT my bike in the video and his solution to the problem is different than what I'm experiencing. This is what it's like when I start it and it doesn't turn.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:54 PM

Lol thanks community!

Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well okay, you didn't really give us a lot if info to work with. Troubleshooting a no-start is all about the ABC. Air, Fuel, Spark. Have you confirmed each? Does the bike have a history of this behavior, or did it happen suddenly? Did it sit for a while or has it been dailied? Has there been work done to the bike recently? What exactly have you checked out so far? You say the battery is good, but what about the fuses?

Lots of possible causes, but as I say, if you need a first step, confirm that you're getting a strong spark, and that the fuel pressure is good. If you have both of those, the bike will start every time

Old 10-12-2018, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
Well okay, you didn't really give us a lot if info to work with. Troubleshooting a no-start is all about the ABC. Air, Fuel, Spark. Have you confirmed each? Does the bike have a history of this behavior, or did it happen suddenly? Did it sit for a while or has it been dailied? Has there been work done to the bike recently? What exactly have you checked out so far? You say the battery is good, but what about the fuses?

Lots of possible causes, but as I say, if you need a first step, confirm that you're getting a strong spark, and that the fuel pressure is good. If you have both of those, the bike will start every time
How do you know if you are getting a good spark on these bikes?

Old 10-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I like to use an inline spark tester. Cheap and simple. Works on everything with a sparkplug

Alternately, you can pull the plug, reattach the spark plug wire, hold it to an unpainted metal surface, and push the start button. You should be able to see the spark with your bare eyes

Old 10-14-2018, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Or you can get a friend to hold the connected plug while you push the start button. He'll let you know if it's getting spark. :-)

I like the in line testers also. They are especially helpful when you are troubleshooting by yourself. It frees up a hand