Anyone raced their RR Vs F4i?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone raced their RR Vs F4i?

ORIGINAL: DThompson

If they are both I4's than they are the same engine only with different fuel injection systems.

so your saying every bike with a 600cc I4 engine is the same engine?
that doesn't make any sense, if that were true all the bikes since 1990 would be using the same engines and we'd still be riding 600cc inline 4 bikes with a whopping 70 HP

they are similar, not the same

these aren't cars, the engineers at Honda and all the other manufacturers are working constantly to make faster bikes. They spent millions designing and developing the 600RR do you honestly think they would put that much work into making a faster bike and stick an old engine in it? hell no, they want to win races and to do that even Honda needs a good base engine to start with. As competitve as the 600 market has become none of the manufs will hold on to an engine when they create a new bike, that wouldn't be logical.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:26 PM

and btw i'm waiting on an e-mail from dan kyle that will explain the differences in the engines so we can end this argument

Old 07-13-2006, 04:41 PM

Listen, kid, we are still riding in line fours. And, in case you couldnt read, at the top of that spec list he put the TWO bikes that are up for discussion... he didnt mean EVERY bike on the earth that is a 600 and has an I4...

I dont care who your email is from. I can look **** up for myself. I did. I found what DThompson did. So yeah. [:'(]

Old 07-13-2006, 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

and btw i'm waiting on an e-mail from dan kyle that will explain the differences in the engines so we can end this argument
Oh, and if you look close enough, the differences are up there. Take the time and READ

Old 07-13-2006, 04:50 PM

i know the specs and what the differences are, he was trying to make the point that the engines are the same which they aren't and I said that about every 600 not having every bike because Dthompson said a couple posts up that they are the same because they are both 600cc I4s which is an incredible simplication, I was pointing out that that doesn't make them the same it makes them similar. Check this article from sportrider magazine about the developement of the 03 600RR:
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2003...r_development/

The CBR600RR's all-new 599cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder engine also contributes greatly to mass centralization. One of the major design goals for the engine was to make it more compact. By shortening its length, it would be possible to move the engine--and the rider--closer to the steering head, and thus closer to the machine's center of mass.

To accomplish this, engineers rejected the conventional configuration that places the crankshaft, mainshaft and countershaft all along the crankcase split line. Such a design makes for easy assembly, but limits the amount the engine can be shortened. Instead, they placed the mainshaft 48.4mm above the cases' centerline. This allowed moving the countershaft closer to the crankshaft in a triangulated layout. This, in turn, also assisted in moving the swingarm pivot 30mm closer to the crankshaft. Engineers also rotated the engine's exhaust ports 30 degrees downward compared to the F4i's ports. Doing so allowed the headers to curve more closely to the engine, which enabled engineers to move the engine 9mm farther forward.

Shortening the engine had yet another benefit. It allowed lengthening the swingarm to 573mm (43mm longer than the F4i's), making the RR's the longest in the class. A longer swingarm not only shifts the weight bias forward, it also makes for more progressive suspension action by reducing the angle the swingarm rotates for a given suspension movement.

The CBR600RR's awesome 599cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder is an all-new powerplant. It does share the same bore and stroke dimensions (67mm x 42.5mm) as the F4i's engine, but that was decided only after extensive testing with other cylinder dimensions. Honda's engineers found the F4i's displacement numbers would also be ideal for the RR's performance goals.

One of those goals was class-leading horsepower, and engineers succeeded beyond most riders' imaginations. The CBR600RR's engine makes peak rear wheel horsepower at 12,500 rpm, compared to the F4i's peak at 12,000 rpm. For racing, the RR also provides far more overrev capacity, with a 15,000-rpm redline that allows riders to wind past the engine's power peak when it's not possible to shift, or when doing so would slow them down, an important racing benefit.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:55 PM

tcjayde......................Think you spoke a little too soon.

Woody +100, I guess they couldn't explain the differences between the RR engine and the F4i engine any more plain.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:00 PM

Theres the differences, First numbers are the RR second numbers are the F4i

Trail 95 mm (3.7 in.) 96 mm (3.8 in.)

600rr - 40mm Throttle boddies, F4i - 38mm Throttle boddies

600RR Horse power is 117 @ the crank , F4i Horse Power is 110 @ the Crank.

Brakes
Front: Dual radial-mounted 4-piston calipers with 310 mm discs
Rear: Single 220 mm disc

Front: Dual 296 mm discs with 4-piston calipers
Rear: Single 220 mm disc

Suspension
Front: 41 mm inverted HMAS cartridge fork w/ spring-preload, rebound- & compression-damping adj.; 4.7 in. travel
Rear: Unit Pro-Link HMAS single shock w/ spring-preload, rebound- & compression-damping adj.; 5.1 in. travel

Front: 43 mm HMAS cartridge fork w/ spring-preload, rebound & compression-damping adj.; 4.7 in. travel
Rear: Pro-Link HMAS single shock w/ spring-preload, rebound & compression-damping adj.; 4.7 in. travel

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase
54.7 in.
54.5 in.

Seat Height
32.3 in.
31.9 in.

Dry Weight
361 lbs.
370 lbs.

DRIVETRAIN
Carburetion Dual Stage Fuel Injection (DSFI)
Ignition Computer-controlled digital transistorized with 3-dimensional mapping
Computer-controlled digital transistorized with 3-dimensional mapping

M.S.R.P.
$8,999.00
$8,499.00

Those are the differences. Even if they moved a couple things around in the engine doesnt state that its a completely different engine. The base they used was the I4 engine that comes from the bike and we are STILL to this day riding with Inline 4 cyclinder engines as you have so clearly stated in your previous post. "599cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder engine"

Sounds like and Inline 4 to me.
Other than that we are talkin about performance power gains not putting the engine slightly closer to the center of the bike to create a longer swingarm.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: illmattix

tcjayde......................Think you spoke a little too soon.

Woody +100, I guess they couldn't explain the differences between the RR engine and the F4i engine any more plain.

I spoke too soon did I?

Woodys post only backed up what DThompson had to say AND it added that it may look a little different. No matter... I was under the impression you boys were more concerned about power and not the look of the damn thing

Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 PM

dude it says plain and clear that its an "all new engine" that was built specifically for the RR and that they simply used the same bore and stroke as the F4i because thats what worked best! how plain could it possibly be???

and dthompson you obviously missed my previous post, just because its still a 599cc inline 4 doesn't mean its the same engine! all of the "big 4" Japanese 600 supersport bikes are 599cc I4's thats how these bikes are all made at the moment!

Old 07-13-2006, 05:08 PM

Ok, im done posting now. It was good fun though dont you agree. Its good to get worked[sm=bicker.gif] up every once in a while

GOOD GAME[sm=groupwave.gif][sm=gobble.gif]

Quick Reply: Anyone raced their RR Vs F4i?