CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Weird issue!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird issue!

Hey guys, I've got a weird issue that I've been battling since I got my bike running and was hoping I could get some advice/ideas/help on diagnosing and fixing my issue. So after it warms up about 20 mins or so, the idle will slowly start jumping around a little and the neutral light will start to flicker and then it will die and the neutral light will go out and the oil dummy light will be on. At this point it won't let you start the bike, not even turn the starter. You can however get the neutral light to come on if you lean the bike onto the kickstand and push it a little and then you can start it but it will only run for a second or two and then does this whole thing again.

To try and solve this issue I have replaced the following:
- ignition coils and spark plugs
-thermostat and radiator temp sensor
-carbs have been completely tore down, cleaned, and rebuilt
-new stator and fuel pump (installed by the kid I got the bike from)
-new battery
-fresh oil with new filter

Anybody have any ideas or have been through this before?

Old 06-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

May be multiple issues going on there? Lets figure one thing at a time... Have you checked the kickstand sensor and neutral sensor?

Old 06-28-2019, 11:05 AM

I have not checked those yet, they both seem to work just fine, the kickstand switch kills the bike when you put it down when in gear like normal. I don't think it could be those just because it runs and everything works the way it should up until it gets up to temp for a bit. One of my buddies says to check the fuel cap and the tank vents to make sure the fuel system is venting. I have yet to look at that but could that be a possibility as to why I'm having this problem?

Old 06-28-2019, 01:50 PM

Your neutral light going out is most likely your neutral switch, My neutral switch used to fail once my bike got above a certain temp. not uncommon as far as I know. Did you check the clutch sensor, bas sensor? I keep mentioning sensors because how I understood your situatiom, sometimes your bike will start fine and sometimes the starter wont even turn, that tells me most likely some kind of sensor or connection is failing intermittently. When the bike wont start, do you at least hear a click? Fuel vent issues can cause the bike to stall or have issues when hot but I imagine at least the starter would try to turn the bike over. I assume you've already tried to start the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:04 PM

Clutch sensor is working, my bike is a 1999 and from what I've read on other threads is that the 1999-2000 carbed models don't have the bas sensor. I do not hear a click when I try to start it after it dies, nothing at all, pretty much pressing a dead button at that point. And as far as the fuel venting, I wouldn't think of it being an issue, but alas it is a honda and I've heard these bikes are very temperamental when it comes to the computer and all the sensors and such so maybe it could be telling the computer and the computer shuts the bike down to prevent damage. Before this issue sets in, yes I can start the bike perfectly with it in gear and the clutch pulled in.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:30 PM

What have you done to verify all these switches are working? You need to test all the switches when your bike is NOT turning on, as in when you are having the issue. If you dont hear a click, obviously somewhere along the line there is something not letting the power get by. Electrical components CAN and DO fail intermittently and you obviously have an intermittent issue. No 1 thing you do with intermittent issues is you replicate the situation. You already know that it happens when it gets hot, so you need to narrow it down frm there. Could be a sensor, or part of the wiring; definitely something up with your neutral sensor if the neutral lights not turning on; you need to get out the wiring diagram and trace it down to where the circuit breaks. Cant really help you until you go and confirm where exactly the power is not being transferred (again, WHEN it is NOT starting!!!)