CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Im new so bear with me

I recently got a 03 600FS..now Im only about 140lbs...I find the suspension AWFUL..its So SO bumpy..Ive tinkered with all the settings to no avail..a mate rode it the other eve and although he's a lot heavier than me he too thought it was awful...I followed on his VFR800 and thought it was a joy to ride..

even on city roads Im bumped all over the place..

Is this the nature of the beast or what should I do???
Any advice re settings...

It is very different to my 600FX..did they radically change the suspension settings with the FS???

Cheers
DC

Old 07-24-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by darkcloud
Hi

Im new so bear with me

I recently got a 03 600FS..now Im only about 140lbs...I find the suspension AWFUL..its So SO bumpy..Ive tinkered with all the settings to no avail..a mate rode it the other eve and although he's a lot heavier than me he too thought it was awful...I followed on his VFR800 and thought it was a joy to ride..

even on city roads Im bumped all over the place..

Is this the nature of the beast or what should I do???
Any advice re settings...

It is very different to my 600FX..did they radically change the suspension settings with the FS???

Cheers
DC
darkcloud, The bottom line on the 600F4 (or FS / FX in Europe's case) is that it is a great bike with sh(i)t-bucket OEM suspension. Front and rear. I have the correct Ohlins shock for your bike. Its even the European version, although only the P/N is different from the US to Europe (shock is same as F4's according to Ohlins). Its the HO049 Ohlins model.
Look up the spec sheet on www.ohlins.com

https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97468

I am not kidding when I say it was like a new bike with this shock. Put this on it and then some race-tech stuff in the front end (or whatever equivalent y'all have in Ireland) and you will LOVE that motorcycle! - VE

Last edited by VitaminE; 07-24-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Default raising the rear end

Hey guys,
I have a honda f4 2000 model. I bought it off my friend and he's a really short guy. Im around 5"11. The bike's rear end is really low and I was wondering if anyone can give me instructions on how to raise it and how much to raise it.
Thanks for your help.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by bronics
Hey guys,
I have a honda f4 2000 model. I bought it off my friend and he's a really short guy. Im around 5"11. The bike's rear end is really low and I was wondering if anyone can give me instructions on how to raise it and how much to raise it.
Thanks for your help.

Im in the same boat im 6"2 and feel its as if someone lower it before I got it and someone said I look too big for the bike which has really messed with my head,
Changeing that load bearing thing on the shock will that adjust the height?
Im going to go tinker with the settings on the bike and try find out what is best for 95kg and ill post up the results but before I do who can explain what screws do what

Bottom front forks (L/R)
Top front forks (L/R)
subframe shock
and the spring from 1-7

Old 07-31-2009, 09:31 AM

Im interested in suspension tuning as well. i have both my rear and back shock bagged out hard and its still to soft for me. I love my out of the box set up on my 08 CBR1000RR. Very tight and crisp, very nice set up to start out with.
I was wondering does anyone know if i can throw 08 Cbr 1000 forks on front of my 600. I think both are 43 mm thick. Not sure about hight. And if i could i would have to use a Cbr 1000rr Wheel and brakes . I think it would be nice to have better front brakes as well. I know its not nessary cause i have two different bikes, but i love the hell out of my old 600 and i would like to max out its potential.
Just an interesting idea if i plan to get race forks for my 1000 i would swap stock front end on my cbr 600.

In addition, if the latter was not possible, a friend was telling me i can tune the forks by changing to a thicker oil. If anyone know about this on a F4/F4i please let me know.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Crazynate
Hi guys.

I need to set my suspension up on my F4.

Is there any formula to setup front and rear preload, rebound and compression based on a riders weight??

I am 105kg or 230 pounds.

Any thoughts or advice?
The most important setting to determine is sag. This ensures that you are using the suspension as much as possible with out it bottoming or topping out. Any issues beyond setting proper sag are then adjusted with compression, damping, or buying stiffer springs(or better suspension period)

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_geek/index.html

There are a lot of basics about suspension to read on this site. get to it :P

Old 08-02-2009, 02:56 AM

anything with an rr has larger front forks then the f4. i'm 6'1" and i sit bent knee and flat footed. you can change the shock so you can change the spring. f4 spring is tapered no one in the world makes a spring for the f4 shock. and that will help with the guys over 175lbs. read my first reply in this post. raising or lowering a motorcycle more than a 1/2in changes the geometry of the motorcycle geatly. the less your weigh the less preload you need, the more you wiegh the more you need. preload effects your ride hieght. which is your sag. go to a book store and read a book on proper suspion setup. the most important thing on a motorcycle is tires, second is suspension. they work together to make your motorcycle do what it was intended to do.