CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension setup

Hi guys.

I need to set my suspension up on my F4.

Is there any formula to setup front and rear preload, rebound and compression based on a riders weight??

I am 105kg or 230 pounds.

Any thoughts or advice?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Default the maunal

in the manual on page 3-24 and on the following pages show the stock settings and how to set them. i have been told to start at the stock settings as a baseline for adjustment. dont quote me on this but i believe the average sport bike is set up for a 165 to 175lbs rider. so us larger guys(6' 1" 220lbs here) need more preload, compression and rebound are things you will have to play with to get them were you want them. i run 5 preload rear and were the top of the second groove is barley showing on the front adjusters. but those are were i like them you maybe different. start at the factory settings

Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by limpy88
in the manual on page 3-24 and on the following pages show the stock settings and how to set them. i have been told to start at the stock settings as a baseline for adjustment. dont quote me on this but i believe the average sport bike is set up for a 165 to 175lbs rider. so us larger guys(6' 1" 220lbs here) need more preload, compression and rebound are things you will have to play with to get them were you want them. i run 5 preload rear and were the top of the second groove is barley showing on the front adjusters. but those are were i like them you maybe different. start at the factory settings

I am your height and weight as well. I also have the same problem as the OP, rather confused on suspension settings. If it is not too much trouble, would you mind posting all of your current settings?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 07:03 PM

ive also been reading up on this and dunno if i want to adjust the ones on my 99. how does one know when they should be adjusted? should the bike squat so far when the rider is on? should it be a real smooth ride? should it be stiffer for better corner handling? so far ive been riding around on whatever the other owner has them set at, its a lil bouncy but nothing bad.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Default factory settings(alittle long sorry)

like i said in the other post set you bike at the factory settings. i'm no expert at this. i have read many articles and books but experience means alot more. i have only messed with my bikes and a few others. mostly just to undo bad things. one thing to remember is that when you adjust one you must adjust the others accordingly. but not all bike have adjustments on the out side or at all. to adjust any thing on a ex500 you must do it fromt the inside. our f4's have 3-way adjustment and rear which make it lot easier let me tell you. but you could have aftermarket spring and valving in the front. which would change how much your adjustments are. adn also the age and condition of the fuild front and rear also change the amount of you adjustments. when i find someone who sells the rear valve and rebuild kit i want localy(hopefully before the end of this week) i wll rebuild the entire suspenion on my bike and every setting that i have now will change.
since i'm no expert, i say got to borders or barnes&noble or used book store(many good finds there). and pic up a book on suspension tuning. it will be able to explain in detail. one of the best books i have found is
101 Sportbike Performance Projects by Evans brasfield.
it has everything needed to maintian and encrease the preformance of a bike.
but there are many others also. if you go to a riding school they can treach you how to adjust the settings too

Old 03-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Default quailty

oh and dont just read anythign and belive it online make sure that the soucre is legit. i.e. an ex-racer, school instructer, race team mechanic, or a person with ties to a magazine

Old 07-15-2009, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Crazynate
Hi guys.

Is there any formula to setup front and rear preload, rebound and compression based on a riders weight??

Any thoughts or advice?
Can anyone my weight please post their suspension settings so I can try to dial this bike in as much as possible.

I know I probably need my suspension adjusted by a shop re fork oil/springs and also rear spring but that's not in my budget at the moment.

Appreciate any help.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't just weight that needs to be considered - it is also how your ride your bike. If you spend all day on the highway touring long miles you'll have it set soft. If you carry a passenger or camping gear it'll be harder. If you take it to the track it will be a torture device on the street.

I'm currently cranked all the way up on the front - and still wanting more... at which point you start to have to look aftermarket or to a professional tuner.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by woot
It isn't just weight that needs to be considered - it is also how your ride your bike. If you spend all day on the highway touring long miles you'll have it set soft. If you carry a passenger or camping gear it'll be harder. If you take it to the track it will be a torture device on the street.

I'm currently cranked all the way up on the front - and still wanting more... at which point you start to have to look aftermarket or to a professional tuner.
Fair point.

I ride it to work a couple of times a week and its a 25km trip each way but I also do a lot of rides in the hills and this is where I find it a bitch.

I don't really mind compromising my plush ride to work and I don't tour or pillion anyone.

When you say cranked up are you referring to preload or what?

I find the back wallows around and just generally feels soft and spongy in the twisties and its unsettling and non confidence inspiring at all.

There is a suspension set up service offered at our local trackdays that tunes stock suspesions relevant to your weight and riding style, I hope to get out to see them soon but any feedback from you guys is welcome.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Crazynate
Hi guys.

Any thoughts or advice?
I have one word of advice: Ohlins

And although you may think I have a conflict of interest in providing this advice...it is not any less true...

https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97468

Quick Reply: Suspension setup