600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

suspension setup

Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: suspension setup

you should not have to. the lighter rims will effect accelleration and "flickability" they will not have an effect on how fast the suspension moves through its range.

the tire pressure question is way too vague. what tire, what temp, street or track, hot or cold psi?

fwiw, I run my Pirelli DCIII at 32/34 street, 30/32track cold psi

Old 04-26-2008, 10:30 PM

Unless you're going to BST's or some other Carbon fiber wheel... really nothing needs to be changed because of it. As far as the sport rider settings go, well... at a race pace they're REALLY soft...

For tire pressue, well that depends on what tires you're running.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 PM

I talked to a guy who works on race bikes and they use 40 for the front and 37 in the rear. Thats what I am set at and its nice. May I ask where you got the sportrider suspension settings, as I am looking for something more street oriented. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: be vertical

I talked to a guy who works on race bikes and they use 40 for the front and 37 in the rear. Thats what I am set at and its nice. May I ask where you got the sportrider suspension settings, as I am looking for something more street oriented. Thanks!
OMG! That WAY TO HIGH in the front for ANY modern performance motorcycle tire, let alone a DOT race tire. That would be like riding on a bowling ball, and would get real grease real quick when it over heats... but I bet you get great life from the front.

For the Stock Q's track pressures I'd start out with 30/32 cold pressure if it's a hot day, and maybe 32/34 if it's a hot day.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:19 PM

Maybe I have it backwards, and its 37 in the front and 40 in the rear. I think that is a little more reasonable.

Have you ever tried putting nitrogen in your tires instead of air... Nitrogen is not effected by heat. I have no done this, but a friend of mine works on nascar trucks and thats what they do. I found this to be interesting.

Anyone want to give me those sportrider settings?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:26 PM

here's the link http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_s...ngs/index.html

you got a lot of friends workingwith race tires? I dont know about the nascar trucks and nitrogen, but I can tell you, the guy that works on race bikes must be in charge of putting gas in it, because he sure doesnt know his tires. (unless thereare more details about the type of track tires you can run that high)

Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the link...

One guy is a local mechanic that works on an AMA team, and also builds drag bikes as well. The other is a childhood friend of mine that used to work on a whalen modified, and now works on a craftsmen truck. So yeah, I know some people that race.

I checked the pressure in my notebook and it was 37 in the front and 40 in the back with the tires are like 75 degrees (room temp) but not ridden on. They ride pretty firm, but that is usually the way I like it. I have the michelin power race tiires are they are max rated at something like 50psi, so they can handle the pressure just fine.

The reason for the nitrogen is that it does not expand and contract with temperature, so you can get a more guaranteed tire pressure that will not go up at the tire gets warm. I have no experience with it, but for purposes of consistency its cool.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 PM

Well... I occoasionally work on a AMA team... and the only guy I know in the paddock that runs really high pressure is Yates, and he gets speical Dunlops that are for him.
I run Power Race tires, and while they can physicially handle the pressure, they cannot handle the heat it generates when ridden at a race pace. That is why Michelin recommeneds a cold pressure of 22psi in the rear and 29 - 31 psi in the front for all Power Race tires. The problem with high pressures is that modern race tires are designed to give the best grip at a very specific tempature range, and going just a few psi over that will cause the tires undo stress and the heat build-up will over heat the tires making them greasy and cause hot-tears.

And while they use nitrogen in most car/truck race tires, motorcycle tires are designed & built totally differently and are designed around air being used, not nitrogen. Also nitrogen does in fact expand when heated, just not as much as oxygen and if "dry" air is used in tires it is every bit as consistant as nitrogen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: suspension setup