CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Rear brake???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake???

Yep its me again.

I have rebuilt my rear brakes a few weeks ago as the bike has been sat around for years before I bought it and the piston was knackered.
I have replaced the piston, seals (smeared in red rubber grease) , bleed nipple, springs, pads, pin, fluid, washers and hose with stainless steel.
I have noticed while riding that the disk is getting hot after only a a mile or so. I have spun the rear wheel while its on the stand and the pads are rubbing slightly but not enough to make it difficult to spin the wheel.
Is there anything I should be checking?
All I want to do is ride the thing but it seems to be having to spend more time in the garage sorting out ****ling issues.
As always any replies would be gratefully appreciated.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:46 AM
Welcome Crew

does it get hot after use or just after a ride with no use, when you rebuilt the calliper was the piston free moving in and out, might be worth taking the calliper off removing the pads and checking that your pistons are free moving, how does the rear disc look not warped or anything

Old 05-13-2014, 04:32 AM

Also bear in mind, new pads... they bed in... mine rubbed ever so slightly when I put all new calipers disc and pads on mine... ride it for 10-15 miles, stopping and checking... if brake is slightly warm it'll probably just nicely wear in... however if it's hot, the piston isn't set correctly...

While stationary put the rear brake on off etc... everything look ok?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by wheelnut
does it get hot after use or just after a ride with no use, when you rebuilt the calliper was the piston free moving in and out, might be worth taking the calliper off removing the pads and checking that your pistons are free moving, how does the rear disc look not warped or anything
It gets hot after a ride. I have tried only using the brake when I have to and it is still warm to touch but not hot I can't grab the disk.
When I fitted the piston it all seemed to work well.
I will have a check tomorrow to see if the disk is warped. I hope not

Old 05-14-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pugheaven
Also bear in mind, new pads... they bed in... mine rubbed ever so slightly when I put all new calipers disc and pads on mine... ride it for 10-15 miles, stopping and checking... if brake is slightly warm it'll probably just nicely wear in... however if it's hot, the piston isn't set correctly...
While stationary put the rear brake on off etc... everything look ok?

That's good to hear.
When I get home from work (10 miles) the disk is quite warm to touch. Not hot enough to burn my fingers though. Does it sound to you if that is hotter than it should be?
When the wheel is on the stand I can spin it easy enough but I can see the pads are really close to the disk and I can hear it rubbing. It sounds quite consistent and not on and off as if the disk was warped

Old 05-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for a few mile ride when the roads are quiet and only use your front brake , when you stop check how hot the rear disc is , if its to hot to touch then they are binding. It should only be slightly warm because you havnt used it.
If the caliper has been done correctly then move your attention to rebuilding the mastercylinder , its a piece of **** and super straight forward. My rear brake was binding and it was the mastercylinder that was as fault so i no this first hand.
Also dont rule out the bedding in time for new pads

Old 05-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Could your foot be resting on the pedal and dragging the brake just a little?

I had a friend that couldn't figure out why his rear pads would wear out faster than his front when he rarely uses it. One day we followed him and noticed his brake light was on a lot. Turned out he was resting his foot on the rear brake. Little change of foot position, problem solved.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:08 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. Just an update. I have done a few hundred miles and the problem seems to have totally gone.
Cheers again