CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

few issues with my f4

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default few issues with my f4

Having a few issues with my f4 at present

Firstly when its cold it runs fine but as soon as its at opperating temperature it idles rough goes between 1300 and 1500 rpm and at low revs such as pulling off or slow speed traffic crawling if i pull the throttle to accelerate it hick ups around 3 times before itll take off , am i right in thinking the carbs need balancing??

Secondly , at low rpm cruising or traffic crawling or slowing down from higher rpm theres a slight rattle from the cam chain but over the last few weeks its been getting slowly worse / more noiser , now is this dangerous to the engine? Or is the cam chain tensioner about to break ?? Im asking because the honda dealer said it was fine on my old 1000f and it was common and that it wouldnt fail its just an irritating noise.

These 2 faults are annoying the hell out of me and want them both sorted before the summer kicks off!!

Old 05-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that a loose CCTL can eventually throw engine timing off. I started to get the noise and immediately replaced it. Secondly that could be the cause of your bike bucking? Mine did it a couple times, but i found that my Chain was hella loose! So you could check that too, for the rattle noise and bucking.... but I would definitely replace your CCTL its a cheap price for the part and its not hard to put in. I hope that helps brother!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sync'ing the carbs would be a good idea. If it's hesitating when you roll on the throttle in the lower RPMs, but runs great up top, and it idles fine when you start it - that could be it. Make sure all of your vacuum lines are good and not cracked or anything too.

The CCT isn't an immediate threat, but I'd worry about the cam chain stretching and abnormal guide wear over a long period of time. I don't think it could really ever get to a point though where it'd jump a tooth on either the cams or your crank.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:49 PM

Thanks for your imput fellas much appreciated.

The cct has only started rattling around 4 weeks ago and i think ive only done around 150 miles since first noticing it and at 55 quid for a genuine part including gasket its hardly bank dusting , im just curious if im goin to cause any damage by running it for another week or so while i order the part and wait for it to arrive??

My carbs are being balanced tomorrow night by a mate of mine thats a bike technician so ill report back if it has cured that problem.

Also just thought id share that ive managed to get 10,000 miles out of a set of dunlop roadsmarts and very impressed with them , good in all conditions wet , dry and anything inbetween and super sticky.
Just gone for a set of the dunlop roadsmart 2s after reading alot of good reviews so will see how well these go

Old 05-15-2014, 03:54 PM

Right then , carbs were balanced today found 1 and 2 were out of balance and 1 and 2 were out of balance with 3 and 4 all corrected and idle reset , took it for a spin and it seems ok but havnt got it overly hot because not stuck in stop start traffic. Anyway. . .
It seems to be running alittle rich how would you tune the carbs back in to make the mixture good?
Bikes standard and never been rejetted?

Old 05-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Balancing the carbs seems to have done the trick in rush hour stop start and crawling speeds there was no hick ups or poor running .

Next thing though . . Heard a weird squel / whine on idle only happens when at normal operating temperature and on idle as soon as you touch the throttle it goes away , after a bit of investigating i found it to be the water pump so had a google search and found several posts on various forums about the exact same problem as mine so priced one up at £150!!! For a water pump!! is there any cheaper uk parts suppliers?? Ive looked on david silva spears but they they dont have it on there parts page and cant find any after market parts. Would it be worth sorcing a used genuine part or bite the bullet and replace the water pump with a new honda part??

And finally new cam chain tensioner and gasket on order. . .

Old 05-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm glad the carb sync worked for you.

As far as the water pump - I'd feel safe going with an ebay one. If the ebay pump is bad, as per ebay rules, you'll get your money back. I haven't ever heard that "whine", so I'm not sure what it exactly sounds like, but I've taken a few apart. Go ahead and take yours apart, see what it looks like - once you've ordered and gotten a new one.

And sorry I slacked on the reply, but obviously by now you know - a week or 2 is absolutely nothing to worry about with a CCT issue.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:09 AM

Yea the water pump wine is a weird one it almost sounds electrical. on idle its a constant high pitch noise only just loud enough to hear over the engine running. It only happens once at full operating temp and not at all while cold or warming up. As soon at you touch the throttle it goes away until the idle has settled again and then it returns. From what ive read on other forums with people that have had this issue the pump bearing is slightly worn so at lower rotational speed creates this whine.
Anyway theres a used one on ebay at the min so goin to keep my eye on it for now , ive gotta strip it down to change the cct anyway so may aswell just buy it along with new oil , oil filter ,air filter , fuel filter , spark plugs , coolant and stainless steel headers and just do the lot in 1 go then least i no itll be all done and ready for the summer

Old 05-17-2014, 01:33 PM

Some good news at last , i called the dealership i bought the bike from to tell them the issues and they told me its still under a global insurance waranty and that i should take it to a honda dealership to be looked at and repaired all free of charge as its a parts and labour waranty.
So ive canceled the cct i had on order and im goin to get it booked in at honda next week

Old 05-22-2014, 02:56 PM

My Bikes in honda tomorrow mornings to be looked at and hopefully repaired!! Hopefully camchain tensioner and water pump will be replaced under warranty as well as getting the air fuel muxture adjusted and carbs rebalanced as im still having low rpm hickups once the engines up to opperating temp. Will let u all no the out come once i get it back

Quick Reply: few issues with my f4