CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Adjusting Position of Front Brake & Rear Brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting Position of Front Brake & Rear Brake

I'm trying to rotate the front brake and rear brake position downward (or clockwise) to suit my riding position better. Was able to do this with the clutch and shifter, no problems. But with the brakes...

Front brake: I loosened the clamp bolts and rotated it down, but it stopped short, almost no room to go there.

Rear brake: Can't figure out how lower starting position of rear brake lever. (I've got the service manual and the owner's manual, didn't help with this). Loosened bolt that connects to lever but that only reduced the travel of the lever making the brakes catch faster. I need to move the lever down because my foot naturally lower.

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-16-2006, 02:18 AM
Default RE: Adjusting Position of Front Brake & Rear Brake

For the rear brake, look where the master cylinder connects to the lever. There should be a clevis that goes around the lever secured with a pin and a cotter pin. This clevis is attached to a threaded piston which goes inside the rubber seal on the master cylinder. There should be a lock nut on this threaded portion. You'll need to remove the cotter pin and the pin that goes through the clevis and brake pedal. Loosen the lock nut on the threaded rod. Screw the threaded rod in or out, depending on if it is before or after the brake pedal pivot. This will, when reconnected to the brake pedal, will make the pedal be lower. Don't forget to re-tighten the lock nut once you have the position you want and replace the pin and cotter pin. For the front, you should be able to rotate the brake lever perch downward with no obstruction. I'm not sure what its hitting without being able to see it.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:22 AM
Default RE: Adjusting Position of Front Brake & Rear Brake

thanks bud, i appreciate the detailed help.

i did both those things already, guess i did em wrong, gotta try again with a fresh look at it tomorrow,

i'll see what's blocking the front lever, looked like brake resevoir box.

and like i said, when i adjusted the rear brake via that threaded rod it only reduced the travel of the brake not the position. in other words, the brake came on sooner but didn't change position. i'll try it again...

thanks very much for the info!