CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Proper rear brake pedal position?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper rear brake pedal position?

I'm having some trouble with my F3. As my brake pedal sits right now I literally have to raise my foot off of the peg to press the pedal. This scares me a little as in an emergency brake situation I don't want to over-press and lock the rear which seems likely with it adjusted like it is.

I've loosened the lock nut and adjusted the nut above it which moved it down a hair but nowhere near how I'd like it. Should I pull the pin which attaches the pedal to the master cylinder and adjust it more? I'm just not sure where it should properly sit but it seems wrong to me as it is now.

BTW I've done searches and I don't want this to turn into another "use the rear brake vs. not use the rear brake" discussion like every other thread I've found so far. I'm doing my own home work to that end and will make my own judgments where that's concerned. I just want to figure out where my pedal should sit irregardless of how I use it.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mind taking a pic of the nut you adjusted? And your brake lever in its current position?

The lever is pretty adjustable. So I'm wondering if you adjusted the right thing or if your lever is bent

Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Certainly!

Here's the current position. I'm just above the bottom of the bottom bolt that holds the entire peg and brake assembly on. I can get a 12mm socket on the bolt head without a ratchet but with one I have to press the pedal a little to get it on there.

Name:  IMG00202-20100614-2213.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  37.0 KB

Here's a picture of the nut. Its the top one that is a bit under the rubber boot, not the lock nut.
Name:  IMG00203-20100614-2214.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  33.3 KB

I was actually just reading an un-related article about braking that suggested that the rear brake should be a couple milimeters under your relaxed position on the peg so now I KNOW that my pedal is way high. I'm 6'2-3 so that may have something to do with it as well as the pedal's position.

I didn't see a bend in the pedal anywhere but the bike has been down on that side before I owned it so it is definitely possible.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I adjusted my pedal using that that nut & did not have any problems with it. Bolt has a lot of thread on it, but I did not have to adjust it much to get it right, a few turns will move it a fair distance either way.
I can't remember now, did it years ago, but are you turning it in the right direction & you have to lift the rubber boot up a tad for better access

Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Well, I was curious so I just went out and looked at the 2 F3's in the garage. Both brake pedals are in the same position as yours. I'm 6'3" and don't have a problem. Although one thing is that I don't ride with my foot over the brake pedal, I ride with the ***** of my feet on the foot rest. If I want to brake, I have to move my foot over the pedal before pressing on it. (if that makes any sense)

Old 06-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here. Might be a matter of foot positioning since it looks like you're adjusting the right bolt. I think the rear brake on my F4i can go lower compared to my F3. But at it's lowest (where I have it now) I can't rest my foot on it comfortably.

Think that's intended so applying the rear brake takes an intentional effort

Old 06-14-2010, 11:19 PM

I don't keep my foot over the pedal, nor do I want to, the main issue is I literally can't rotate my foot keeping the arch on the peg and put the ball of my foot over the pedal. I have to both lift my foot off the peg and then rotate. It is awkward at best and I find myself movig my body trying to find a less awkward way to get on the pedal. I'm also a bit concerned since were I to actually hit the brake in a panic situation with my food on the peg, I'd likely lock up the brake.

I'll look at it a bit more tomorrow and see if I can't get some more adjustment out of it.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me that maybe you're brake pedal could be bent or something, Same as Idodirt & Kuroshio said, when I go to brake I just move my foot while its still on the peg.
Actually looking again at you're pic, my brake lever does not have a rubber grip on it, it's criss crossed grooved, with 4 segments making up the length of pedal (about 2 inches wide) & covers 2 3rds of foot rest.
I bet the previous owner has sawed off at least two of the segments & stuck on that rubber bit.
No wonder you have to lift you're foot!!

Last edited by pacemaker; 06-15-2010 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:21 AM

Actually that is a trick of the light and my crappy cell phone pictures. Mine also has the criss cross grooved metal, no rubber grip. I read your post and had to go out and check thinking "I don't remember a rubber grip".

I'm going to do some more work on it this evening after work. Maybe I can figure out what's going on.