F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

proper position at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proper position at highway speeds

This is my first bike. 2003 Honda CBR 600 f4i. I have just become comfortable enough in two days to ride on the highway. I have taken the Moto safety course and apply everything I learned on every ride. I'm having a hard time figuring out the proper position to ride at highway speeds. Am I supposed to almost lay on the tank, with my vision just over the windshield? The wind is killing me at 70+mph. I'm trying to get down as much as I can, but wanted to check with more seasoned riders on here.

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Default RE: proper position at highway speeds

If the wind is really bothering you you could get an aftermarket windscreen. I don't know how tall you are, I'm 5'11" and just put on a double bubble from puig. Costs about 70 bucks and it reall lifted the wind buffetting off of my shoulders and out of my visor area. As for body position, same as around town, ***** of toes on the pegs unless shifting or braking. Loose in the elbows, support your upper body with your core, try not to rest your body weight on your wrists. You can tuck under the windscreen but the stock screen is very low so unless you are like 5'3" you may feel like you areall cramped trying to get completely out of the wind and under the screen.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6' with a reg aftermarket smoke ws. I dont have any problem with the wind. What sort of jacket are you wearing? A baggy and/or non-riding specific jacket will ballon and cause drag on you at speed.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:49 PM

I'm 6'2". I have a leather Joe Rocket 4.0. Fits perfect. I was thinking there was a certain way to have less wind hit you, and feel more comfortable. I have heard of riders getting closer to the tank to help with this, and wanted to check if it was common practice.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:31 PM

Does your helmet havea chin air spoiler aka chin curtain? It is usally fabric thatcloses off the helmet just infront of your chin....that does wonders, if you don't you can make a temp on out of electrical tape.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARE YOU WEARING EAR PLUGS?
You can get permanent hearing loss in 15 mins of highway riding due to wind noise. Just keeping the wind away from your ears and skin will increase your comfort level multifold. This includes a full leather suit, neckwarmer/balaclava, properly tucked gloves/jacket, riding boots! Throw in ear plugs and you're insulated. get some with NRR>30dB... moldex purafit work for me.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Banned

The wind is killing me at 70+mph.
No it isn't.

When you get more comfortable on your bike, 70mph won't bother you at all unless your helmet is too big and it rattles around. It all gets easier (and more fun) after some experience.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:51 AM

Update* After riding non-stop since Thursday the wind isn't bothering me now that I've got used to riding at 70+ I've found how the wind flows over the windscreen and put my helmet in the perfect spot for the slipstream to flow right over me. It was a good feeling when I found the "zone". I barely felt the wind after
I am wearing earplugs. I went to school for recording engineering, I know all about constant db at certain frequencies, and hearing lose. It's some scary stuff.

On a side note, getting off the highway next to my house a suv pulled out in front of me trying to pull in between come cars. I pulled hard to the right and couterweighed to the left. I'm glad I took the moto safety course. It saved me for sure!

Thanks for the insight guys, it's helped.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:38 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

make sure your butt is at the back of your seat, sometimes you slide foward and your crotch is at the tank.. that'll give you alot of wind because you are pretty much sitting straight up at that point

Old 03-17-2008, 09:19 AM

Yeah it just takes some experience, wont bother you as much after a while.

Quick Reply: proper position at highway speeds