CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

oil change gone bad am i screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change gone bad am i screwed?

This is the first oil change I've done since I got the bike. While I was attempting to change my oil yesterday, I started out by taking off the oil filter and letting all that oil drip out. Then I moved on to the oil drain bolt. The previous !@#$er tightened the !@$$ out of it probably with an impact wrench (@#%$#*ing idiot, sorry still mad.) Since my bike is my only transportation I had to put on the new filter and I put in a random amount of oil and decided I would finish it today. Well, I did finish it AFTER my bike started messing up. It stopped idling and would die whenever i came to a stop. I turned up the idle speed and it managed to stay idle while bouncing around from 1k-1.7k rpm. I was like !#$@ and hoped it would be all better after I solved the stuck bolt. Finally got off the rounded off stuck bolt and changed the oil and dumped the oil in the new filter (put 3.5qts) and its still running the same. Is my bike screwed?

i didnt notice any color smoke comin out of the exhaust when i revved (warmed up) either

cliffs:
oil drain bolt was stuck
think i put too much oil and rode about 30miles
bike wouldnt idle after that
finally got stuck bolt off
put correct amount
bike still running crappy

advice?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 PM

Ive overfilled my 900 before on accident got distracted and put almost an extra quart in all it did is smoke still ran the same dont know why urs wont idle did u check the plugs could possibly oil fouled one good luck

Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 PM

u may be right because of the rpms jumpin around it seems like a misfire
quite frankly, i woulda checked out what it looks like "under the hood" but i cant figure out how to get the seat off lol...
where the hell is the seat lock suppose to be?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:08 PM

Its under the seat, behind the license plate. But wait, I have a Hotbodies undertail so its probably different lol. You need the key to get it off.

Last edited by 2000F4; 02-16-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 PM

update:
its now idling WAY better than yesterday, infact I had to turn down the idle from what I raised (still higher than normal). This makes me believe that oil got into the plugs and its cleared up a little. Its still not running properly though. Theres a lot of blow by when decelerating that I never had before and when I was warming up the bike with choke on, unburnt gas was shooting out the exhaust.
and I still havent found the damn seat lock *facepalm*
is there a way to get under the seat without the key

Old 02-17-2010, 02:32 PM

the seat lock is generally right under the tail light. Little key insert. Are you sure it was unburnt gas blowing out of the exhaust? Could have been condensation which wouldnt be a surprise see the weather lately. Or sign's of a blown head gasket.... It would be running hot if the gasket was blown so I wouldnt worry about that. If you plugs are a bit fouled take it in the hiway and open it up a bit.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you did over fill the engine then you're going to want to clean out your air filter (and really you should clean out most of you PAIR system) When the bike has too much oil some of it ends up coming out the crankcase breather reed valves on the top of the head, then it travels through your PAIR system (Pulse secondary AIR intake System, fancy name for emissions control junk) and eventually winds up clogging your air filter very quickly. Although this may not be your problem, a dirty air filter will definitely hinder you finding out what exactly the problem is.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by WildBill
If you did over fill the engine then you're going to want to clean out your air filter (and really you should clean out most of you PAIR system) When the bike has too much oil some of it ends up coming out the crankcase breather reed valves on the top of the head, then it travels through your PAIR system (Pulse secondary AIR intake System, fancy name for emissions control junk) and eventually winds up clogging your air filter very quickly. Although this may not be your problem, a dirty air filter will definitely hinder you finding out what exactly the problem is.
i found the key hole for the seat (it was behind my license plate) so i took the gas tank off and opened up the air filter and immediately i noticed oil all over the carbs and air filter
sadly i dont have time right now to clean it
your pretty much on point

Old 02-17-2010, 04:15 PM

My Buell was the same way, it would blow oil out of the breather into the airbox which would clog it up. Clean everything you can, even though it may take a while, but it will be worth it.