CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

New owner! needs help! bike wont turn over?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner! needs help! bike wont turn over?

Hey guys, I just bought a used 2000 CBR600F4 from a private owner, but its got some problems and I'm having trouble fixing them.

I was riding around one day when I accidentally braked without pushing the clutch so I stalled the engine. I haven't been able to start the bike ever since. The headlight and dash lights were dim and the horn was weak. The bike wouldnt turn over whenever I pressed the start button as well. Eventually the bike didnt respond to me at all.

I figured it might have been a battery issue, but that was only half the problem. I installed a new battery and the electronics (and the horn) are working fine, but the bike still wont turn over. I also need to do an engine oil change on the bike, so would changing the engine oil solve this issue? I also recorded a video of me attempting to start it up if it will help.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:23 AM

i have a 99 cbr 600 f4 and had almost the same issus i replaced the batt and everything worked but still would not start there is an inline fuse near the batt search for it mine was blown and sure enough it started right up
changing the oil wont make it start inless its super low and your light would of been on before it died and it would still turn over check the starter wires also

Old 07-20-2010, 05:14 PM

is the inline fuse the little box with the red 10s stuck in a line? i checked them and they look like theyre fine. i also found another green chip with 30 on it but it doesnt look like its connected to anything?

im beginning to think it may be a carburetor or a spark plug issue. it sounds like the bike is turning over when i turn the choke on, but the engine will die as soon as a i turn the throttle. if i start the bike with the choke off, all i hear is that start up sound so my guess is no fuel is being fed through.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:21 PM

nothing guys? nobody has had these issues?

Old 08-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudywolf
is the inline fuse the little box with the red 10s stuck in a line? i checked them and they look like theyre fine. i also found another green chip with 30 on it but it doesnt look like its connected to anything?

im beginning to think it may be a carburetor or a spark plug issue. it sounds like the bike is turning over when i turn the choke on, but the engine will die as soon as a i turn the throttle. if i start the bike with the choke off, all i hear is that start up sound so my guess is no fuel is being fed through.
I had my F4 stutter on me too today. I also saw the green 'chip' (30a main fuse) just sitting there, not connected to anything. I was confused how it was connected so I used my phone to provide some extra light (I was stranded on a poorly lit street.... )and saw that it's just a spare fuse situated in a rubber thingy which is slid onto a piece of plastic to hold it in place. I replaced my main fuse with the one on the holder and it worked fine (even though my main fuse wasn't blown!).

Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah IIRC that is a spare.. but there is a fuse or fusible link or something next to the battery too.. I think that is the one people talk about.. I saw mine once when I was looking over stuff when I first bought mine, but I cant remember exactly what it was... maybe thats what needs to be checked...

Old 08-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
yeah IIRC that is a spare.. but there is a fuse or fusible link or something next to the battery too.. I think that is the one people talk about.. I saw mine once when I was looking over stuff when I first bought mine, but I cant remember exactly what it was... maybe thats what needs to be checked...
Yeah it's the main fuse connector. It's red or pinkish (it was dark when I saw it). It's a bitch to remove but it's in there.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:29 AM

you may have flooded the engine when you stalled it, and then ran the battery down while trying to start it. Have a battery charger? Might just want to give that a shot too.