CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as your coolant goes... Is the overflow bottle installed properly & does it have the rubber protective flap in front of it to protect the bottle from heat? You need to be sure of this when you reinstall your new overflow bottle. [If you need a visual reference - refer to the bikebandit.com website or one of you manuals.]

Believe it or not, these overflow bottles can be incorrectly installed & w/ the rubber protective flap installed behind it - instead of in front of it - or completely missing altogether, thanks to lazy or non-attentive techs/mechanics or incompetent previous owners. [YES, I've actually seen it happen.] If that rubber flap is not there, you're overflow bottle will melt holes & leak.

So be sure that rubber protective flap is there & installed properly when you install your new overflow bottle. This would ALSO be a good opportunity for you to replace your radiator hoses. They are certainly old at this stage & could use replacing. Its easy to do - just follow the procedures in the factory service manual. After new hoses, you'll obviously need to flush the system & fill w/ new clean fluid. Once you've completed installation/flush-n-fill, TEST the system to be sure of no leaks. You should be GTG w/ your coolant system for a long time to come.

As for the possible oil leak... As recommended, obviously check for the source. Sometimes, its as simple as a loose oil plug...or could be much more complicated.

IF for ANY reason, you don't feel competent to diagnose the problems, get the bike to an factory Honda service shop to have the work done.

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the colant res in made sure I put the black gossip in front of it. Changed the coolant and oil and so far no leaks at all. Took the bike out for 4 hours the other. But now I have 2 more problems. When I get stuck at a light my bike starts to get hotter and hotter even with the fan running. But once I start goin it goin it goes might back to the middle where our should be. And now I'm hearing almost like a clicking sound coming from my chain. Almost like it's stuck something when certain part of the chain comes around. Hoping it just needs to be tightened but I don't know much about bikes. Any one got any ideas on whats goin on.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Avi

congrats on part 1

for the heating, does it actually get to the red line or near that?
any sport bike with fairing will heat up standing still, especially in the summer.

if the drive chain is clicking, most likely there is a binding link. rotate the rear wheel andd check each link that it ca rotate free on each pin.
and check chain tension.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kapsiak
I put the colant res in made sure I put the black gossip in front of it. Changed the coolant and oil and so far no leaks at all. Took the bike out for 4 hours the other. But now I have 2 more problems. When I get stuck at a light my bike starts to get hotter and hotter even with the fan running. But once I start goin it goin it goes might back to the middle where our should be. And now I'm hearing almost like a clicking sound coming from my chain. Almost like it's stuck something when certain part of the chain comes around. Hoping it just needs to be tightened but I don't know much about bikes. Any one got any ideas on whats goin on.

A manual fan switch can always be turned on before you make a stop so the air keeps flowing

but if theres no leaks and its still not cooling properly then you might have an air bubble in your system which will make it run hotter. You can eliminate bubbles in the system with a technique called burping. Start the bike let it run until the fluid starts to rise (200-205 degrees) in the neck and then turn it off and let it sit for a minute. You might see a few bubbles and that means its working. I like to lean my bike to the left a couple times to help move the bubbles toward the neck.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM

The bike gets to like 3/4 to hot maybe a lil more when standing still and then back down to half when I start goin. Is the bike ok drive with chain like that you what? I now the chain is kinda loss but like I said before I don't know much about bikes and don't know tight it should be.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:10 PM

i think i may need a chain and sporket, but i have no idea what the plus, or minus means about the sproket.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kapsiak
i think i may need a chain and sporket, but i have no idea what the plus, or minus means about the sproket.

+ anything on the rear gives you more acceleration and - anything on the front does the samething.

If you dont stunt and you just want a lil more get up and go, then go -1 in the front and +2 in the rear and you'll be happy