CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

integrated tail light install

Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default integrated tail light install

hey guys now normally i have no problems with electrical systems but this light is driving me nuts!!! its an ebay integrated taillight now the wiring seems simple but i just cant seem to get it the wiring i have is one light connector that looks like the bottom of the brake light bulbs and has 3 wires a red, black and a yellow. and also seperate wires a blue and yellow for the turn signals. so i figured i can just plug the connector into a taillight socket and wire the signals to the positives of both signal feeds. and have them all ground through the brake socket. so i plug the brake connector in and test brake lights and running lights both working fine but now if i plug in the signal connectors the running lights go out and if i try and operate the signals they work but the brake light does not. now im really frustrated and im just looking for some insight does anyone know if theres some diodes or something that i should be installing to get these to work? i used the resistors that came with the light with no change.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are several threads/posts in the F4i section on these types of integrated tail lights. Perhaps those threads will have the wiring info you're looking for.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Old 03-24-2012, 08:46 AM

I have this tail light, I thought it was a little tricky too. I found that the 3-wire harness will plug directly into one of the brake light plugs, but can go in two different directions, it sounds like you have it right if your brake lights work. The signals on mine were reversed, so the orange and blue were actually opposite, something you would notice right away because the wrong side of your tail would flash. There are 2 options as to where to plug it into the stock turn signal plugs since the stock used a live wire and a ground, and the integrated light uses the ground from the tail/brake light. You only need one of the two, so just try each of them out and see what works. I always turn the key off when moving wires around just in case I short something out. Having said this, I haven't wired in the resistors yet because they forgot to include them in the original package so they arrived later. I'm putting on a fairing kit soon so I plan on installing them when the tail section is off. One last note, my battery was pretty low when I was trying this and it cause all sorts of problems, like the LED's would come on then fade out, so make sure it's fully charged or things might not work properly!

Hope this helps!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:08 PM

Problem solver turns out that the p.o. had wired the fronts to be both signaling and running lights but just tied the wires together with no diodes causing the rear to be messed up. lights working great and i got to get it all starter for the first time after mods :-)

Old 03-25-2012, 05:32 PM

Glad to hear you got it working! I never considered fron signals because mine are still stock, but I will be changing them soon. I'll have to remember to install diodes if I use a 2-wire system.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 AM

that means they wired the brake light to the running light so it thinks the brakes are on. My f4 is in the shop getting some carb love. I installed this intergrated tail awhile ago. There should be 3 wires that are not blue or yellow coming form the tail light. black is ground and then the other two are the running light and brake light. Yellow and blue i believe is the blinkers. I forget and can look right now what colors honda used for oem lines. But its pretty simple and the blinkers have a running light also but u just cap and tape that one off. just clean up the wiring and start from 0 just make sure u hook up ground then test all the wires.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:04 PM

everything is all hooked up, the blue and yellow wires i cant figure out because fo the turn signal it is a 2 wire connection where on the aftermarket tail light its only one wire for each side..i dont know how to connect this or even where to start...as far as my tail light not getting dimmer would needing new brake pads make the bike think the brake is on?..i'm getting new brake pads next weekend, i will keep u posted

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: integrated tail light install