CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Engine Cutout at random times, please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Cutout at random times, please Help.

Hi i have a 600 FY and have had it for just over 4 years now but in the last say 2 years its stated just randomly cutting out, basically it only happens about 3 times a year and normally only happens while at a steady pace generally on a motorway, my bike is well looked after and have done carb clean outs, all filter changes, battery change, oil change and have checked wiring, i will be going at about 90 - 100 Mph and the engine suddenly dies while mid throttle, i have to pull over and am constantly trying to start it until the battery is 2 flat to turn over, i then end up push starting it a few times until it just kicks back into life and sounds like its running on 3 cylinders for about a minute then the bike carries on as normal again. does anyone have any idea why my bike is doing this and what i could do to fix it or at least give me advice on where else to look to work out my problem.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 PM

first check the entire wiring harness and all connections (every single one), grounds, connectors, through out the bike for unplugged, bare, freyed, corroded or burnt looking wires or conectors. if that checks out all good, get or download a manual then look up and perform diagnostic checks. first the charging system (stator, rectifier/ regulator, and battery). then check every electrical component in the igntion system (stop/ starter switch, ignition, kickstand switch, ignition coils, throttle position sensor, cdi box, ignition pulse generator, neutral switch, 10 amp fuse connection, main fuse connection, .

directions are way to long for me to type here but, its all in the manual. there is a manual download on here somewhere search for it. then there is a charging system check step by step on here too search these in the search box, in the middle of the page at the top. it might seem over whelming at first, its not , its time consuming. thats all, not hard after some practice. get a volt meter if ya dont have one.

Last edited by cBrentb; 04-18-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the reply, i have checked all connections on battery, fuses, rear of the bike, Right hand side where all indicator relays are, front end where dash connects, ive had the kill switch split, i have a volt meter permanently connected to my bike above the clocks because my old battery was on its way out, i thought that may be the problem so i replaced it, battery is at 12.6v and when running the volt is at about 13.4v with lights on and can jump to 14v wen lights are off. i do have a manual for it, by the sounds of it would you say its a electrical fault or mechanical fault, do u think it could be a fuel pump issues or a cdi? wen it dies it feels like a petrol starvation but ive changed the fuel filter and the filter is still of fuel once its died.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Sounds like electrical failure. Keep checking the entire harness for bad spots. Could also be a kill switch connection, faulty kickstand switch, or an bad ignition switch. Try wiggling things while it's running, including the key.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:47 PM

thanks for the reply i will keep checking the other bits and get switches cleaned and checked with a multimeter, im out on it 2morrow so if it happens i will check those bits.