CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Does this sound like fuel pump issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this sound like fuel pump issue?

Hi,

On motorway, bike losing power then cuts out, still turns over but won't start again until a few minutes, goes a few miles and same again. I replaced the fuel pump with a secondhand one a couple of years ago but back then it just cut out and wouldn't restart. Temp reading is normal. Managed home today by getting off the m-way and mile at a time.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:14 PM

How about your intake? With the ducts on the front of the bike taking in air, the filter can get clogged. I haven't had this issue with my bike, but I have had it happen to a Grand Prix where I had installed a forced air induction system.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:41 PM

Hi, thanks, dunno about that. Ducks in front would be air filter? I went out on it tonight about town and no repeat cut outs but I never had it revving much like on the m-way. I'm thinking kinked fuel lines or clogged fuel filter might also be the cause. Strange how it was struggling so bad yesterday to get home from m-way and I was driving about tonight for 15 mins without a single issue, at mostly lower rpm as said.

I've bought some Forte Advanced, see if that cleans out whatever the issue is.

Last edited by Wheelie2; 05-24-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:34 AM

The main air ducts in the front force air through the top of the air filter and it throws a lot of bugs and road crap right on top of the filter, clogging it and choking out the engine. But, you reminded me of a fuel pump issue I had. I had to replace my fuel pump earlier this year, and I used the factory replacement hoses from Honda. When I hooked everything up and put the tank back on, the main line from the tank had a slight kink in it and with the fuel pump pulling, it did collapse the line and choked out the engine. I cut about an inch out of the line from the tank to the pump to get rid of the excess and get a better flow from the tank. I can't raise the tank as high now when I take it loose. If you look from the left side, just under the suspension adjuster across to the petcock, you should be able to see the line from the tank to the pump to verify if there are any kinks.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Stuffle
The main air ducts in the front force air through the top of the air filter and it throws a lot of bugs and road crap right on top of the filter, clogging it and choking out the engine. But, you reminded me of a fuel pump issue I had. I had to replace my fuel pump earlier this year, and I used the factory replacement hoses from Honda. When I hooked everything up and put the tank back on, the main line from the tank had a slight kink in it and with the fuel pump pulling, it did collapse the line and choked out the engine. I cut about an inch out of the line from the tank to the pump to get rid of the excess and get a better flow from the tank. I can't raise the tank as high now when I take it loose. If you look from the left side, just under the suspension adjuster across to the petcock, you should be able to see the line from the tank to the pump to verify if there are any kinks.
I see where you are pointing.

I had the same problem when i lifted once the fuel tank.. the old rubber connector from tank --> Pump just broke because it was dry.
I replaced it whit a fuel rubber tube but the tube has to be correctly bended already to not collapse.

I found the right cheap replace with a short FIAT500 fuel tube S-Modeled that was already bended so.

Anyway OP's problem looks like an air problem more than fuel.