CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Buying a used cbr 600 f4

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used cbr 600 f4

So I'm going to look at a 2000 cbr 600 f4 in a few days and I'm just looking for some advice on what to look out for when buying this particular model. I've hear of this model having some problems with the cam chain tensioner but are there any other problems that are common on this bike? What are some things I should look out for?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CCTL, voltage regulator/rectifier.. Random fuel pump issues... It's a solid bike overall.. Just look for signs of maintenance with records, check fork seals... Etc

Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM

Mine has 60,000 and still running strong. Things I've had to look after are, r/r and charging system wires during hot seaoson, gear shifter arm cracked and broke, I replaced thermostst twice last warm season, fuel pump switch (not fuel pump) fail then replace the points switch, I have to clean carbs every ten thousand miles or so.

Within a year and a half I was stranded twice. Once after first few weeks of ownership, the original r/r failed cause I didn't know about the notorious r/r failure yet. And the other is cause I failed to clean the needle and spring side of the carbs and it got clogged and cut off while riding, something I could have avoided. I have learned the machine and how to stay ahead of repairs and keep on top of maintenance. Really no problems sincea, just maintenance stuff.

Last edited by cBrentb; 01-30-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 AM

As stated above, I would take a multi meter and check the voltages of the battery when the bikes off and running to make sure the reg rec is ok, I had to replace mine for the better aftermarket version, I had to replace the cam chain tensioner and I've just had to replace the fuel pump points. My cbr has done nearly 50kmiles but it's one of the nicest bikes I've ridden.

Apart from fork seals, check to see if all the fairng bolts are present, the condition of the chain (should be lubed) the life left in the chain, and check before its started where the oil level is. Make sure all the lights work and that the fuel pump primes and runs when the bike ticks over (if it has one) the cct you'll hear it rattle when you get the rpms up if it's gone.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Just bought one with 31,400. things to look out for/replace (i had to replace most of these things):
- R/R (seems to be a big issue with these bikes, but easy fix and easy to figure out the problem) if you do have to replace it, get an aftermarket one with heatsinks, they get hot
- turn signals Front and Rear, mirrors (mine had none)
- fuel pump
- chain (this turned into a big deal, make sure its been maintained and tensioned correctly, also inspect master link)
- carbs cleaned
- fork seals
- check tires for wear and was it stored on stands?
- was it winterized and stored correctly?
- how old is oil, and how many miles since changed?
- how old is the coolant
- check head and tail/brake lights with hand lever and foot
- make sure gears shift smoothly and has steady idle
- if you can get the fairings off, make sure there is no leaks around the case or by the headers. An oil leak is no fun to try and fix.
- try and see how the seller has been maintaining/treating/riding it, especially with these older bikes, you can't be too careful

hope this helped i havent had any problems after restoring it from its original owner's condition. I really like the way this gen of cbr rides and looks!

PS havent had the cam chain tensioner problem but ill definitely be listening for it.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:21 PM

I'm an F4 owner and these are really nice bikes but if I had the option of buying the bike over again I would hands down buy an F4i. The fuel injection is just so much better imo. I also think the F4i is the greatest sportbike ever made.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Dont forget the simple things like brake pads and tyre tred.
Radiator condition.
Spots of rust anywhere.
Steady tick over - hesitant throttle response could mean the carbs need cleaned