CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

What's it worth

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeppers!

Yay for 600cc motorcycles being cheap to license/insure/operate/maintain.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:06 PM

He's got the bike set to get out of winter storage on Saturday so that's when I'm going to go take a look at it. Too bad it's only supposed to be in the 20's with light snow in the morning here in good old central illinois, so I probably won't be able to test ride it. That's not good because I would really like to ride the bike before I buy it. Anyone ever bought a bike without test riding it first?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 PM

I would think most people have. With the exception of my Katana all of my bikes have been purchased with being able to ride them. In fact most of which I never even heard them run before I bought them. Of course Everything I have bought has been really cheap also.

I know when I lived in denver the dealers/shops certainly wouldn't just let you test ride them. I can't blame them, it would be pretty easy to permanently take it.

On that same note, I learned this lesson the hard way and a couple more too.
About a week after I first moved there I was out car shopping in my truck (1988 Chevy S-10 4cyl. 4-spd manual transmission) with my bike (1986 Honda Interceptor) in the back. Two of the salesmen on a lot I went into stopped me and asked if I wanted to sell the bike. It was like brand new with 11,XXX miles on it. I said I probably would be as I wanted a newer bike anyways. I told him once I got the bike out of the back of the truck I'd bring it over to the dealership and show it to him. I had a bed topper over the bike so it wasn't going to be a two man 10 minute job. A couple days later I was riding around and swung in to show it to him.
Him and his buddy really liked it and he said he'd buy it for for $1,650.00. He claimed to have plenty of seat time on a few different bikes and wanted to take it for a short ride. I didn't blame him as I would too. Apparently he has never been on a bike before and dumped it on either the on or off ramp to the interstate (I-225).
Not much I could do about it after the fact.
He came back and was pretty shook up. The side of the bike had some rash, but nothing was broken (maybe a blinker?). He wrote me a check (he was currently punched in and working) and went in to get cleaned/washed up. Bummed about the bike I figured I better get this check cashed ASAP! The dealership was literally right next to his bank so I casually walked over there to cash the check. Of course he had no money in his account. UGH!
No biggie, I'll just walk back over and get my rashed bike real quick and live with it. Guess who left work for the rest of the day? Yeppers.
I called the cops, but they told me because I had accepted a check it was now a civil matter and couldn't be considered motorcycle theft even though I am still the titled owner of that Interceptor (and still am today!).

Knowing I was pretty hosed I went back to the dealership the next day hoping to catch him working. More good news. Supposedly he came back after hours the previous night and decided to take two cars for free.
I talked with his buddy and he told me where he lived. I went to his apartment to check out the situation and see if the bike was around. Neither he or the bike was to be found. His buddy informed me that he totaled the bike already, and was running from the law.
Knowing he was wanted for two new car thefts solidified the fact I was never going to see anything come from my bike ordeal.
What I wouldn't give to see that MF with my own two eyes again. Someday he'll get whats soming to him.

Lessons learned from this transaction:

1. Never accept a personal check for anything. If a potential buyer has the cash they will have no problem getting a money order or cashiers check/bank check.

2. Money orders still have to clear (I make a buyer wait 10 business days) before they take possesion of the item or I ship it (and I sign the title if it's a car/truck/bike/snowmobile). If they don't like the "hold" time they should use cash!

3. If paying in cash buyers will accompany me to the bank (or credit union) to make sure the bills aren't counterfeit. Obviously that can only happen during business hours so they need to plan accordingly.

4. NOBODY rides my motorcycle without me holding on to the value (or selling price) in cash. If the potential buyer drives it and really likes it, great! I'll sign over the title over then and there. If they decide they don't want it and didn't damage anything, I'll gladly hand the cash back to them.
I will also take them on a ride so they can see everything functions correctly if they don't want to put up the cash deposit for a test ride.
In a car I always go with if the buyer wants to drive it. I would never let a buyer test drive anything alone. If a buyer wants to burn a half tank of fuel and drive it hard I have no problem with that. Being inside the vehicle on a test drive ensures it isn't being abused.

5. Always keep a copy of the buyers information (drivers license) for at least 6 months after a sale in case they never register the vehicle and/or use it for illegal activity.

6. Never "loan" a buyer your license plate so they can make it home without getting pulled over.

The good news is that about a year later I bought another bike (1994 Suzuki Katana 600). Denver was an awesome place to have/ride a bike.

Last edited by daniel_depetro; 02-26-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:40 PM

Bought the bike for $1700 today. I got to test drive the bike and everything seems straight. It's actually better looking in person. I will try to take some better pictures and post them on here. He did include a aftermarket slip on pipe, but I have no idea what it is as it does not have anything lettering on it saying what it is. Also got a larger rear sprocket and 520 chain, helmet, and some more odds and ends. He said he had the previous owner return it to stock before he bought it so I'm thinking the carbs are probably still jetted and I can throw the pipe back on. Tires are in decent shape and should last through the summer. Rims are dirty and a little pitted, but not really bad. I think I got a pretty good deal for $1700.

Any recommendations for oil and filter? I was thinking Amsoil, but I'm not sure what weight oil to use. Also not sure about what kind of oil filter to use. What are your opinions on fuel system cleaners like Seafoam or anything like that? Just want to clean things up a bit without actually pulling the carbs off, but i don't want to use anything that will effect the seals in the carbs. Let me know what you think

thanks
-Dan

Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 AM

Your on the right track, I myself use full synthetic 10-40 and OEM honda filter. Seafoam should work fine, I'd just wait for a time that you will be going thru a tank of fuel in a short time.

Oh, and congrats on the new bike!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:55 AM

If you are going to use Seafoam do so before you change your spark plugs.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 PM

Well I've got my first problem with the bike. I went into town today and bought a new Interstate battery for the bike. I figured I would spend the extra $20 and get a top notch battery instead of a cheapy that's going to need to be replaced in a year.
Came home and put the battery on charge and took off the stock pipe and installed the aftermarket pipe assuming that the jets were not changed when the bike was put back to stock. Got the bike started up and set the idle to about 1500rpm. Bike was warming up, I went to wash my hands and noticed the idle rpm had increase up to about 3000rpm. Tried to turn the idle screw down but it made no difference and I eventually screwed the thing all the way out. I can't for the life of me figure out where the idle screw goes into. And now I have two problems

1. Is the increase in idle rpm after installing the aftermarket slip on pipe a indication that the bike will need to be rejetted with the use of the pipe?

2. Where does the idle set screw go into exactly. I looked everywhere I could see for about 20 minutes trying to figure out where it goes and I can't find it.

Let me know what you guys think

thanks
-Dan

Old 03-02-2009, 06:21 PM

Oh yea, I'm also having problems with the throttle springing back to the rested position. Any help would be much appreciated.

-Dan

Old 03-02-2009, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by dasm86
1. Is the increase in idle rpm after installing the aftermarket slip on pipe a indication that the bike will need to be rejetted with the use of the pipe?

When I got my bike it was bone stock. About a week after I had it I installed a Jardine RT-1 pipe. I never did re-jet it yet and the bike never changed in idle RPM, sound, or power that I could tell.

Why were you messing with the idle screw to begin with?

Maybe your choke is partially on?

Old 03-02-2009, 06:55 PM

I was adjusting my idle because after the bike warmed up I couldn't get the rpms to go under 3000. I kept turning the idle adjustment screw until it eventually came out. Now I can't figure out where exactly it goes into.

Quick Reply: What's it worth