CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Turning the engine by hand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning the engine by hand?

I just built a 98 cbr f3 from scratch... i got it all together topped off the fluids and went to kick it over..... it spun about 10 rotations before slowing down all the way to nothing...sounded like a dead battery so i went to have the battery tested....one place told me it was good but i dont think the kid knew what he was doing with the load tester.... try again the next place told me it was not good... so i went to walmart to replace it......they wouldnt do it without a receipt and i didnt have my wallet on me to buy another one soooo long story short this is a brand new battery already..... and i cant get one tonight... i cant sleep i think maby my motor is locked can i spin the engine with hand tools without disassembling anything.... i put a ratchet on the front sprocket with the bike in first gear and nothing.... wont spin in either direction so now i am freaking out should i be able to spin the engine there or will the trans/ clutch keep it from rotating somehow.... help! i got to work tommorow and now i can sleep! thanks Ryan

Old 03-19-2007, 01:47 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Turning the engine by hand?

well if your battery was new , have you checked all your grounds and wire connections. next what about your stator or rectifier ? either of those could be a factor in your battery going dead

Old 03-19-2007, 02:50 AM
Banned
Default RE: Turning the engine by hand?

Of course it won't move... it's in gear!

Put it in neutral. If you do it in gear, you're basically going to be moving the bike forward under compression... unless you're Popeye, good luck with that. Now, if you prop up the rear, then you should be able to crank it by hand.

In any case - to see if it's locked up (doubt it), put it in 2nd or 3rd and try to push it and pop the clutch. Don't expect to start it, but if it's locked up - it'll stop dead in it's tracks. If it's not, it'll just become a heavy pain in the *** and the rear wheel should move - indicating you're engines crankshaft is still moving.

Good luck with it though, the more I ride my F3, the more I love it. You'll have serious fun with it if you take care of it.