F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

engine keeps turning off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine keeps turning off!

hey guys, i am very new to this forum and new to bikes all together.

i finally picked up my 2004 CBR600 F4i and i went for a ride. well, as i was moving along the engine cut out! another guy on a bike helped me out to get it to a gas station. i figured it was out of gas, it wouldn't start. we get there, it has a full tank! the battery is also dead. the guy left the lights on bringing it to me. but once it's jumped, it idles at 1000 rpms and sounds smooth and revs quick. also, the fuel gauge does not show up. it will come one for a second before i start the engine, but goes away while the engine is on.

anyway, back to the engine problem. i am able to use the engine cut-off switch to turn it back on again. it starts up just fine, every few minutes it will die. i checked the oil, i put some in it. what is the oil capacity? it seemed like it was very, very low. i put 1.5 qts in it. also the temperature seems to be fine, it's around 170 while riding.

it runs fine, just turns off every few minutes

thanks
niel

Old 12-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Default RE: engine keeps turning off!

Sounds almost like a fuel pump issue. Check your battery. You might have enough charge to get the pump to prime, but not enough to keep your FP up while youre riding

Old 12-18-2008, 02:02 PM

would it be safe to hook it up to my truck and charge it a little that way?

Old 12-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn the idle up to 1300-1400 rpm also.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: cs2jz

Yep that should be fine. After a couple minutes it should have no problems charging itself. If it does, then its the battery or the charging system.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: TruStinger

ORIGINAL: cs2jz

Yep that should be fine. After a couple minutes it should have no problems charging itself. If it does, then its the battery or the charging system.
I would be careful about charging it from your truck, the bike has a lower voltage system than a car or truck, you could damage the electrical in your bike. Your bike has a charging system on it, its called the stator or on a car, an alternator. If you bike isn't charging, two possible problems. 1. battery is so dead, it won't hold a charge. 2. Your stator is bad, for a 2004 bike, I don't see that happening. If you want to charge your bike from an external source, I recommend you getting a battery tender that is hooked up to the bike and then plugged into an outlet.

DON'T EVER TRY TO JUMP START YOUR BIKE FROM A VEHICLE, YOU WILL FRY THE ELECTRICAL WIRING ON YOUR BIKE!!! If you jump start from a truck, hook up the jumper cables, and leave the car turned off.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:08 PM

I dunno, me and my friend were wondering if we could when my friends r1 died. We did it and there was no ill effects, ive had to do it multiple times since to many different bikes. Ive never had a problem. But I could see your point.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:27 PM

that kinda scares me now... i had to do it two times so far. the fuel gauge isn't working either. that side of the screen is blank.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:22 PM

The fuel guage only shows up when you need fuel.

There is 4 bars that show up when you get low on fuel. Then one bar will start flashing, then 2, then 3, then all 4. I always fill up when the first bar flashes to prevent any problems.

F4i's do not show fuel level, it only tells you when you are running low and on reserve.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:25 PM

If your seeing a blank screen, thats bad. You have probably either blown a fuse or fried the lcd display. The fuse is located under the drivers seat. You can find used lcd's on ebay, but what is going to happen you will probably buy one with the wrong mileage than your bike. Let's hope its just a fuse.

Quick Reply: engine keeps turning off!