CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Suspension Adjustments...

Old 06-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Adjustments...

Don't know if anyone can help me or not, but I was talking to a Yamaha salesman yesterday (blasphemy!) about adjusting my suspension for my style of riding (he's an amateur road racer). I told him that a lot of guys recommend having their suspension tuned to their weight, but that I don't have that kind of cash right now. I asked him if I could adjust my stock stuff to be better than it is now. I'm a fairly aggressive rider - I normally ride a big cruiser, so I have a tendency to ham fist the throttle - and the rear of my F3 "steps out" on me quite often (I am running cheaper tires on this beast). In cooler weather, I've even had the front tire slide on me! Anyway, he suggested I try what he does to his bike, as we're both about the same size (although, he's on an '09 R1): Crank the compression as tight is it goes and set the rebound damping as "loose" as possible. I looked at my factory manual and I know how to do that, I'm just wondering how many turns I can turn the compression adjustment before it's as tight as it goes? I assume it clicks as it turns and that it'll stop when it isn't supposed to turn anymore, right? I believe everything is set to the factory settings right now. He also suggested I find something called "The Idiots Guide to Suspension Tuning," if there is one and read through that. I assume all adjustments can be made properly while the bike is parked normally (neither wheel off the ground), correct? Help?

We also talked about track days and he said he didn't think a bike that old (1996) would pass tech inspection. Thoughts on that?

Last edited by CB-aRrgghh!; 06-19-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:37 AM

Wrong on most accounts.

1. Learn about suspension tunning here:Motorcycle Suspension Tuning, Sport Bike Suspension Settings & Setup at Sport Rider

2. Stock F3 forks only have rebound damping adjustment. No compression adjustment.

3. Tech inspection at track days should have nothing to do with the year of the bike, it is whether it is track worthy. (Some organizations may have different rules but none I have seen have a year restriction) I ride my 98 F3 at track days with no problems.

Edit: to correct which adjustment the forks have

Last edited by smee44; 06-27-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: to correct which adjustment the forks have
Old 06-20-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by smee44
Wrong on most accounts.

1. Learn about suspension tunning here:Motorcycle Suspension Tuning, Sport Bike Suspension Settings & Setup at Sport Rider

2. Stock F3 forks only have compression damping adjustment. No rebound adjustment.

3. Tech inspection at track days should have nothing to do with the year of the bike, it is whether it is track worthy. (Some organizations may have different rules but none I have seen have a year restriction) I ride my 98 F3 at track days with no problems.
+1

Ridiculous advice. Don't listen to that guy anymore.

First you need to set your sag, then go from there. There are lots of good guides out there to teach you suspension adjustments.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by smee44

2. Stock F3 forks only have compression damping adjustment. No rebound adjustment.
My F3 only has rebound on the forks. Just because they're conventional forks with the adjusters on top, doesn't necessarily mean it's for compression. Check an F3 manual.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by CB-aRrgghh!
Crank the compression as tight is it goes and set the rebound damping as "loose" as possible.
What an absolute f@#kwit!:i con_doh:

Old 06-27-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by pepperman
My F3 only has rebound on the forks. Just because they're conventional forks with the adjusters on top, doesn't necessarily mean it's for compression. Check an F3 manual.
You are correct. I was working from memory and got it wrong.

Side note: I have F4i forks on my F3 so it has been a while since I adjust F3 forks. Thanks for correcting me. Original post edited.