CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Strangest electrical issue ever.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strangest electrical issue ever.

Ok, here we go.....Three weeks ago i go out to start the bike and the battery is dead. some quick diagnostics and i ordered a new RR. got that in the mail. jump started the bike went for a joy ride and all was right in the world again. I take off to laguna seca for the AMA finale and on the way home i am cruising home with no issues. I hit my left turn indicator and suddenly i get a loud pop and my bike starts loosing power. I pull the clutch and the engine dies. I let the clutch out and it starts again but imidiatly starts dieing again. while this is happening my left turn signal indicator is blinkink like a bulb is out. I pull over and begin to check it out. with the key on the left signal indicator is a solid light. front light works, no running lights and no rear lights. i hit the left signal and get the fast blink on the dash. hit the right signal and the left inidicator goes solid and the right indicator blinks fast. i opened the fuses and saw i blew the 10 amp for the ignition/start/fuel. suddenly i think, well that makes sense. i blew the fuse and backfired, no sprark engine died. replace the fuse, turn on the key and no lights anywhere like the battery is suddenly dead. take the fuse out and i get the wierd display i described above. long story later i get the bike home. I wondered if the tail light indicator could have been part of it since i had no rear running lights or brake lights, but that doesn't seem to be it. i hooked the bike to my jump box and i get the same funny display with the fuse in place. hit the start button and nothing. just dims the front light like it should but nothing from the engine. any ideas??????? i have a 1998 F3 with 52k miles. only other electical issues were at bad rr at 29k, replaced it with used one and was fine till a couple weeks again. got a new one now. and i had a fuse for my cooling fan blow at 29k. made me cook the rr that day. please help. my mechanic is on vacation in mexico for a week. it's killing me. i also have an issue with my forks but i'll search for that one. thanks.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Default RE: Strangest electrical issue ever.

my guess is since your rectifier went bad, it killed your battery internally. If your rectifier wasnt converting the ac to dc properly, it probably killed the cells in the battery and you may just have a short internally. take your battery in and have it checked some place like autozone does it for free.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:31 PM

Well that's why connected the jump box. That gives it the juice to start but it won't even atemp to turn over. I'm wondering if it might be the starter relay. I'm going to check it out tonight when I get off work.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 AM

sounds like you blew your battery too and you have a short somewhere...

Old 10-07-2008, 12:18 AM

even with the jump box connected, it passes through the battery that is more than likley shorted internally.