CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Steering Dampers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Dampers?

Are these helpful on our F3's. I've just been riding a month but have been told its really helpful to put one on, all the guys i ride with have one and claim they do wonders. Also the only damper i could find for an F3 is the hyperpo ones, any others out there?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Whether you get use out of it depends on how you ride. It reduces front wheel shake that comes from riding at very high speeds. I suppose if you do a lot of high speed wheelies it could reduce the chances of a tank slapper if you set the wheel down wrong. Other than that, you would probably be just wasting your money.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:26 AM

I have had issues a few maybe 5 times were i rip the throttle around 5-7k in a lower gear and i have front wheel bounce problems. Or just stability i guess, any other brands or types? Any F3 owners have them installed that can comment?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by barneybancsov
I have had issues a few maybe 5 times were i rip the throttle around 5-7k in a lower gear and i have front wheel bounce problems. Or just stability i guess, any other brands or types? Any F3 owners have them installed that can comment?
As the old doctor said: "Then stop doing that."

You're taking off with the throttle WAY open, and it's making the front end of your bike lift off the ground. That's not "bounce problems," head shakes, or tank slapping, it's perfectly normal for what you're doing to the bike. If you don't want it to do that, then try taking off from the line appropriately. You're throwing too much power to the back end from a dead stop, and inertia is causing the chain to pull the entire weight of the bike upwards by the front sprocket, and then once you start moving, it does this more lightly, and bounces it off the asphalt a few times. Doesn't sound like anythign I'd do some somethign I care about and spent a lot of money on.

In your case, a steering dampener is just going to reduce the shock that gets sent through your arms. Your bike will still bounce, and you will still be slamming all the important stuff at the front end of your bike against the ground. .

Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
As the old doctor said: "Then stop doing that."

You're taking off with the throttle WAY open, and it's making the front end of your bike lift off the ground. That's not "bounce problems," head shakes, or tank slapping, it's perfectly normal for what you're doing to the bike. If you don't want it to do that, then try taking off from the line appropriately. You're throwing too much power to the back end from a dead stop, and inertia is causing the chain to pull the entire weight of the bike upwards by the front sprocket, and then once you start moving, it does this more lightly, and bounces it off the asphalt a few times. Doesn't sound like anythign I'd do some somethign I care about and spent a lot of money on.

In your case, a steering dampener is just going to reduce the shock that gets sent through your arms. Your bike will still bounce, and you will still be slamming all the important stuff at the front end of your bike against the ground. .
I understand what you saying but im not doing it off the line, this has happened when i've went to pass cars and what not. Plus were i ride we have some really crappy roads (michigan) so i think it would help tone down the shock to my hands from the bumps/potholes and let the bike absorb it, no?

Old 07-14-2009, 03:24 PM

If you're constantly riding on crappy roads, then yeah.

I'm wondering if you have a more serious problem going on. Your bike should not be doing that unless you're hitting some serious bumps. How many miles do your chain and sprockets have on them? It sounds like they might be catching. When's the last time you lubed?

Old 07-14-2009, 05:09 PM

Could be crappy suspension too. Suspension upgrades will help take care of bumpy roads way better than a steering damper will. Some people even think the built in Dampers on 600RRs are overkill because 600's are not fast enough. Usually Dampers are for serious high speed head shake. Your problem is either just related to suspension or throttle control.

But, if you want one real bad, then the only brand I ever hear about is ohlins, so I am not of much help as to what brand is good for the f3.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:35 AM

You can check out dementedf3. he is a form member that has the hyperpro damper on his bike.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:53 AM

You don't need one unless you are racing with a sanction.Otherwise,freshen up your suspension.