CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problems

Well, I went out to start my bike this morning and I had a dead battery. It is hooked up to a charger now, and could use some input.

1st off I was riding about 2 hrs last night so the batt should have had a good charge on it, so something must have drianed it, or mebbe I have other problems.

While it is charging, are there any things I should look into ir common problem areas to look at?

background: I just bought this bike a couple of months back from my brother, and before I got it he rebuilt the carbs for me. Also I have been noticing a lack of low end power until about 3-4k then it is fine. don't know if it is related, but anyway...

I have not really worked on a bike before and this is my first, but I am not afraid to get my hands dirty.

-thanks in advance for any help

Old 05-25-2008, 05:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: starting problems

The charging problem is probably your regulator, this gets asked so often we should have a permanent thread on it or something. Apart from the CCT its the most common problem with CBR's. They overheat, then start to breakdown, so your bike runs off your battery making it go flat. Usually at 1st its an intermittent fault, but the reg slowly dies. Have it replaced with a heavy duty item which will last (not the Honda replacement), It requires a slight mod to fit (like drilling a hole in the backing plate). everyone that gets this problem always assumes its the battery & replace that 1st, which means you end up spending more money than you need to.
As for the lack of urge at at 3-4 rpm, could be related, my bike ran like a pig the last few days before I had the reg replaced, but I think you probably just need to have a decent carb tune & balance after the carbie clean.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:10 AM

how hard of a job is it to replace?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:33 PM

SeemsI have a similar problem in the lack of power under 4K. I purchase a 1998 F3 from Honda, providing they would re-tune the carbs as on the test drive I noticed theproblem...never mind trying to get the bike up my driveway. I have to come to a dead stop before going up a steep incline....so I need those low rev ranges....instead I have to slipthe cluch to get to the top.

Honda did (so they say),recheck the carbs, changed the air filter plus replaced one spark plug andI still have the same problem.

Above 4K...she goes like a bullet

I have noticed that my battery could be a little week.....so I watch with interest so see how you get on.

Neil

Old 05-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing the reg is a piece of cake, like I said before, a (bigger in size) heavy duty unit is the G.O.
So you have to drill another hole on the backing plate for it, the leads just plug straight in & match the leads of your bike. You do however, as a matter of precaution, need to test that its making the right voltage, so a voltmeter would be handy.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:24 AM

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/CBR/CBR600/

this link contains a service manual for cbr F3's. you can download it to your computer and that way you have one. It covers everything you should need. Location, output requirements....ect.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:26 AM

cool thanks, I already have the manual, and am looking into a new regulator.

I have found the source of my problems, though, I had some neons hooked up to the batt and there was a short causing the drain.
After charging the batt, and removing the neons, all seems to be working good again.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:59 PM

ok, so my bike totally died today. So I know it is not charging the battery, because when it died I lost all electrical, couldn't even use a light, so it must have been running off battery for a while. So now I am planning on replacing the regulator, but need some advice.

Should I go oem, or a different way, and could someone help me locate the part? I went to a couple of dealers locally, and neither one knew what I was talking about.