CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Something I've been curious about

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something I've been curious about

So I saw this vid of a turbo'd busa on youtube (and I know we're not talking about a busa but an F3) and in the vid the guy CLEARLY exceeds the redline in most of his gears. Is that doable for all bikes? does it hurt it?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Something I've been curious about

Eventually it will, there is a rev limiter also. I depends how often, how long its there, the condition of the bikes internals (oil, state of tune, wear etc). Red lines there for a reason

Old 09-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is very easy to bypass both rev limiter and timing retard on a Busa ... they agreed to the 186mph limit but they made it where anyone could 'fix' it. And ya, not the best idea to bust into the red area on a regular basis. For one it potentially tanks your engine. And there's very little power to be gained by exceeding the limiter ... your HP and torque peak below the redline.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:12 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Nice bike Steve. Real clean kit. I can't imagine all that power with the primitive suspension. I can just see the back end hunkering down on hard acceleration with the 'soft tail' set up

My old toy was an 01 Busa. Only ran 15# but kept stock compression at 11:1 . Water injection to keep things from melting. Was set up to run NOS but never added a bottle. Got 305HP at the wheel with just the turbo ... plenty. Never ran a timed 1/4 mile but in the 1/8th trap was 130 mph. Would also break 200mph in standing mile.

Sorry to jack your thread ... the moral of the story is that without intense engine modification do not exceed red line.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

The turbo I ran was the same model that was on the mitsubishi eclipse ... air flow requirements were practically identical. People would ask me how it felt and the only way I can describe it to someone who has never ridden one is that it accelerated in 6th gear like most bikes do in first. In 4th gear at 140mph (I used GPS as speedo) you could crank the throttle and even though you were completely leaned over the tank the front wheel would launch. The thing spooled so damn quick ... you would be cruisin at 4# steady and hit a bump where it barely jars your right hand and with the blink of an eye you were at 15# with the front wheel perched in the air and the blow off whistling.

When the ground was wet it got truly scary. A small blip in 6th gear would spin the rear and make you squirrelly real fast. But I didn't care ... it was a fun beast to ride and the ultimate sleeper (if you can call any busa a sleeper) bike because you could not tell anything by looking at the bike. And the clutch was a great hand exerciser ... had to go with big *** muley springs to keep it from slipping ... left forearm looked like Popeye [8D] Guys at work called it my 'redneck rocket ship' ...

Only sold it because all the tugging and harshness screwed up my shoulder. Guess the defect was always there but after 36K miles the constant pull just made my right shoulder jelly ... thank goodness for orthoscopic surgery. Good as new now and the 1kRR is a very gentle bike. Peeps keep asking when I'm gonna do something to it (I have modified every vehicle I ever owned) but so far after 4 years it's pretty much stock ... with a few mods

And I never exceeded red line which is why it lasted +36K miles ... nice segue back, eh?