CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F3 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/)
-   -   Something I've been curious about (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/something-ive-been-curious-about-77159/)

soccer13pro2007 09-02-2008 12:21 AM

Something I've been curious about

So I saw this vid of a turbo'd busa on youtube (and I know we're not talking about a busa but an F3) and in the vid the guy CLEARLY exceeds the redline in most of his gears. Is that doable for all bikes? does it hurt it?

pacemaker 09-02-2008 01:16 AM

RE: Something I've been curious about

Eventually it will, there is a rev limiter also. I depends how often, how long its there, the condition of the bikes internals (oil, state of tune, wear etc). Red lines there for a reason

chainstretcher 09-02-2008 02:22 AM

It is very easy to bypass both rev limiter and timing retard on a Busa ... they agreed to the 186mph limit but they made it where anyone could 'fix' it. And ya, not the best idea to bust into the red area on a regular basis. For one it potentially tanks your engine. And there's very little power to be gained by exceeding the limiter ... your HP and torque peak below the redline.

CBRclassic 09-02-2008 02:47 AM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher
It is very easy to bypass both rev limiter and timing retard on a Busa ... they agreed to the 186mph limit but they made it where anyone could 'fix' it. And ya, not the best idea to bust into the red area on a regular basis. For one it potentially tanks your engine. And there's very little power to be gained by exceeding the limiter ... your HP and torque peak below the redline.
I have only turbo'd one bike ( a 1000 kawa ) back in 1980.. ( ran her for near 35,000 klms )
It was an ATP Turbo kit , all the engine mods were done by Peter Allen a drag racer here in melbourne and were full on to suit 28lbs boost !!!..( 200hp rear wheel )

It was insane .... like riding a Lear jet at ground level with no handling under big boost and little steering :D this "thing" reved to 13,000 in a split second!! when it was built originally to redline at 8,500....

To get to the point of this post , normal factory or near factory bikes , yer should never an need not to be reved above the redline for all the reasons that chainstretcher mentioned..

but.......
A fully tinkerd with turbo engine with
valve timing altered,
compression lowered to 6-1 instead of the factory 10-1,
welded crank,
unbreakable rocker arms ,
indestructable clutch ect ect ....
is made to rev and develop power as far as the engine can stand it...
Because of the nature of the Turbo , the engine just gets push/forced to rev till destruction if you want .... power all the wayyyyyyyyyy....

So the Busa you are looking at may have been doctored to go to hell and further without damage and yes still putting out power ...

Everything definately depends on what the engine and turbo has been setup for ...

[sm=trust_me.gif]Turbo big bikes -
Kids - DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME !
A quallified maniac with very little brains in those days was used to build the Turbo ride in this post

CBRclassic 09-02-2008 03:24 AM

Here is my baby .. 1975 - 1984 ( these are old pics guys )

One of the first FULL ON .. road going Turbo's in Aus back in 1980
(another 35,000klm on her with the turbo )
28lbs boost - engine safe too 13,000 rpm - 200 rear wheel hp
and absolutely insane :D
http://www.home-business-host.com/im...urbo_ready.jpg

http://www.home-business-host.com/im...rbo_ready4.jpg

http://www.home-business-host.com/im...urbo_parts.jpg

chainstretcher 09-02-2008 06:12 AM

Nice bike Steve. Real clean kit. I can't imagine all that power with the primitive suspension. I can just see the back end hunkering down on hard acceleration with the 'soft tail' set up

My old toy was an 01 Busa. Only ran 15# but kept stock compression at 11:1 . Water injection to keep things from melting. Was set up to run NOS but never added a bottle. Got 305HP at the wheel with just the turbo ... plenty. Never ran a timed 1/4 mile but in the 1/8th trap was 130 mph. Would also break 200mph in standing mile.

Sorry to jack your thread ... the moral of the story is that without intense engine modification do not exceed red line.

CBRclassic 09-02-2008 07:30 AM

Thanks Gregg .. she was a rocket in her day ..
jacking the thread is no probs:D

305hp rear wheel .... ouch that is painful hp !!
Since we are all over the place with the thread , I will ask you about the wheelie factor with yu bussa..

That old bus of mine would throttle roll (no clutch) wheelie from 50mph in 4th and run like a friggin areoplane taking off as boost climbed up to 28 and speed to around the 190 klm per hr ... all in 4th.

I was able to just sit with the front wheel 30 inches off the ground hang on like mad and no **** travel half a mile or more till the engine ran out of reves around the 12,500 - 13,000 and the front wheel would just cruise back down to the road all by its self ... bloody unreal it was ..
blistering accelleration ?? bad on tyres though ..

I would love to hear a little about the bussa :D and how she miss behaved ;)

and of course all with an over tone of " never rev yu std bike above redline guys" :D

chainstretcher 09-02-2008 04:03 PM

The turbo I ran was the same model that was on the mitsubishi eclipse ... air flow requirements were practically identical. People would ask me how it felt and the only way I can describe it to someone who has never ridden one is that it accelerated in 6th gear like most bikes do in first. In 4th gear at 140mph (I used GPS as speedo) you could crank the throttle and even though you were completely leaned over the tank the front wheel would launch. The thing spooled so damn quick ... you would be cruisin at 4# steady and hit a bump where it barely jars your right hand and with the blink of an eye you were at 15# with the front wheel perched in the air and the blow off whistling.

When the ground was wet it got truly scary. A small blip in 6th gear would spin the rear and make you squirrelly real fast. But I didn't care ... it was a fun beast to ride and the ultimate sleeper (if you can call any busa a sleeper:D) bike because you could not tell anything by looking at the bike. And the clutch was a great hand exerciser ... had to go with big ass muley springs to keep it from slipping ... left forearm looked like Popeye [8D] Guys at work called it my 'redneck rocket ship' ...

Only sold it because all the tugging and harshness screwed up my shoulder. Guess the defect was always there but after 36K miles the constant pull just made my right shoulder jelly ... thank goodness for orthoscopic surgery. Good as new now and the 1kRR is a very gentle bike. Peeps keep asking when I'm gonna do something to it (I have modified every vehicle I ever owned) but so far after 4 years it's pretty much stock ... with a few mods :eek:

And I never exceeded red line which is why it lasted +36K miles ... nice segue back, eh?

CBRclassic 09-03-2008 06:40 AM

Geezus Greg ... sounds like it was one wicked thing mate ..
I would have loved to have a little run on it ..a very tame run I might add ..

sorry I took so long to reply but I just got home from a bad long day onsite (bloody work)

Maintaining the high 11:1 comp ratio definatly was the way to keep the super down low grunt happening ..
Under 28lbs boost I could barely get my old girl to change direction ... It was like it was fixed gyroscopically or something ... a bloody missile with no guideance .. changing directions once committed to big boost at high speeds was near impossible, till it was shut down and then wound down ...

You must have had a hell of a time getting the busa pointing in any other direction except the one where she was pointing when you hit the gas ???

At 6.5:1 mine was more like a mild mannered 1000 commuter until the revs hit around 6000 then it turned into a friggin slingshot... when the boost hit ..wooohoo and when the BIG boots hit, alot of the things your busa did woke up in one big hurry ..:D

The round the bends 3rd gear (at around the 60-80mph (130-150 klm hr) roll on wheelies were a favorite or mine ... impossible to stop them happening if you even breathed on the boost:D..

A totally unreal sensation as you know , to have the front just lift, without effort ,or much warning, all while hanging on for grim death , nothing you can do because the boost holds it up for quite a few seconds, even if yu shut them down , nothing like it ...
I could rave on about those for a while mate..

You really hit the nail on the head where it came to trying to explain the accelleration ... I used to use the aeroplane line, like I used in my post above ... The guys that I had not taken for a burn on the back , all used to just look at me like I was nuts ... but the ones that I took for spins , well after they recovered and regained their breath , never shut up about the bloody thing ...

I can only imagine how bad that busa must have been Gregg... I know the busa well (my best mate has one ) but left at high comp and turbo'd .... my mind boggles :D

No wonder you wrecked yu shoulder .. I could barely hang on to mine mate ..

I do think that both those bikes were unreal in their time .... but we are better off on our nice tame rides these days ..
I have no intention of doing much to my CBR except keeping her in good shape and keeping her rubber down..
anyway .. I will leave it at that although I could go on for ever about my 3-4 years with the tubo .

Thanks for your time to fill me in on a few details ... was a nice read ... brings back a few memories too :D

The moral behind these tall tales of wicked engines is of course ..
One never was used above redline .. because it was mad enough:D
and ....
One .. did not realize that it had a redline because it was insane :D and was built to rev higher ....