CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

r/r replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its okay i've mentioned them elsewhere but heres a short description.

My bike had started acting up by randomly dying when hot, and not wanting to start again until it cooled down. I would have to push start it and then ride with full choke just for it not to die. Then one day it got really bad and after a few attempts at push starting I noticed a burning smell coming from my bike. Immediately knew it was the rectifier, and upon inspection it had definitely melted. Rode home with full choke as to not die again. So, I acquired a replacement that was from an 05 GSXR1000. I wired it up as stated above and fully charged my battery. So now, with new regulator (7 wire/slightly ghetto rigged) it is still dying at random. I can usually ride it around my building, but as soon as I actually get out there it undoubtedly dies as i'm braking or as i'm sitting stopped. It seems that when braking it likes to die but thats just something random that may or may not affect it. I know this isn't the most specific but its been about a month since i've even messed with it because I was so frustrated with it. Really need/want to get it running correctly again, so any questions I can answer if you have any ideas.

At this point im leaning towards trying to find a 5 wire rectifier relatively cheap and seeing if that is indeed what is causing this issue, or if its something more expensive like my carbs lol.

You can reference this thread I made trying to explain my dying issue as well

Last edited by andyriot; 11-02-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 AM

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it sounds to me like you have/had multiple problems going on. The good news is that I don't think you're going to need to buy another R/R, at least not at this point. The R/R would not cause the bike to die but still run with choke or have anything to do with temperature. Totally unrelated symptoms from your battery dying/not getting charge.
I would start by looking at your carbs. I'm assuming you'll be putting your bike up for the season sometime soon, and as soon as you do try to set some time aside that you can tear into the carbs. Start with cleaning them, if that doesn't work then you can then look into making adjustments in the carburators.
A second possible explanation could be the fuel pump. I don't know if you've looked into that any or not, but it's arguable the biggest PITA on the F3 along with the R/R.
Either way, I would say that the R/R problem was masking the other problems. And now that that is fixed, you can start working on the real problem. And my money would say that the real problem is fuel related in some way.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:09 PM

Definitely not what I was looking to hear

I'm not so sure about tackling carbs myself. I know there are guides, and if I were to follow one i'm certain I am capable, but the tediousness and the need of space to work is an issue living at an apartment. They do not allow us to work on vehicles in the lot. I also don't have many tools here. Im sure I could get access to some tools, but still an issue about working on it. On the flip side, I was quoted a hefty $350-$400 for a local shop to clean and sync my carbs. I really can't see spending easily 1/3 of the value of the bike for something that may or may not fix it. Really not sure what the best solution is.

I have not thought of or looked into the fuel pump. Is this something that is known to work and randomly cut out? And what about why when it dies it does not want to start again? Are you saying the old R/R was masking problems? Would the R/R and fuel pump go out simultaneously? lol

I still am not certain that the new R/R is completely working. I have not tested with a multimeter because I dont have one. While in theory it should work, I still think that something about it is just not right. How can one small wire give enough power to the two wires on the regulator?

I *REALLY* appreciate your input. thanks a lot man.

EDIT: Also, I live in Florida... there is no such thing as putting your bike away for the season

Last edited by andyriot; 11-04-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:49 PM

so.. even i'm pretty much talking to myself here, i've finally figured it out!

thanks to Cinderfella for the tip and IDoDirt for the tutorial!

my fuel pump contact point switch was done for. found one locally at a shop and replaced it, now shes running like new again so excited.

also holds a great idle now! doesnt jump or lag as much as it used to. don't know if that was related, but i won't complain!

Old 11-19-2010, 04:22 PM

Sorry I'm getting back to you after the problem has already been fixed, but I'm glad I could at least point you in the right direction. Also stoked to hear that everything is up and working like new again.
Slightly jealous you don't have to put your bike up for the season, I just had to winterize mine last weekend.
Best of luck with the bike man.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:50 PM

No problem dude, you did your duty and pointed me in the right direction. I greatly appreciate it because my bike was down for at least a month due to these issues which seem to have worked themselves out between the new r/r and fuel pump switch.

Thanks again. I love this community.