CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Popping noise from exhaust when I slow down

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping noise from exhaust when I slow down

So I got my '96 F3 serviced at my local Honda Dealer. They told me it only needed minor service not a whole overhaul. I suggested if the carbs needed to be synched or cleaned and they said that it didn't need it. Engine is fine. When I'm riding and I slow down there is a popping sound coming from the exhaust, what could that be. It only happens when I slow down. Should throw some sea foam in the tank to clean it? Or what else can I do?( The bike was sitting for about a year before I bought it)

Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murdocity
So I got my '96 F3 serviced at my local Honda Dealer. They told me it only needed minor service not a whole overhaul. I suggested if the carbs needed to be synched or cleaned and they said that it didn't need it. Engine is fine. When I'm riding and I slow down there is a popping sound coming from the exhaust, what could that be. It only happens when I slow down. Should throw some sea foam in the tank to clean it? Or what else can I do?( The bike was sitting for about a year before I bought it)
most likely an exhaust leak, alot of bikes pop a lil when slowing down esp from high rpms. Could be running a tad rich too. Without hearing its hard to say if it would harm anything or not, but most likely not if its running fine otherwise.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:05 PM

What's an exhaust leak? Sorry for the noob question.... it actually DOES only pop when slowing down from high rpms. So should I really worry about this?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:54 PM

What's an exhaust leak?
. . .It's when there's a leak. . .in your exhaust. . .

it actually DOES only pop when slowing down from high rpms. So should I really worry about this?
Nope!

Be happy it still works after sitting for a year. You can go ahead and throw 1/3 can of seafoam in with your next fill up, maybe do that over until you use up the can, but I woudldn't be concerned.

Last edited by johnnyx; 08-28-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:25 PM

cool, thanks bro

Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 AM

I had the same thing. Cleaned out the carbs and now its gone. Runs much better now too. Give that a shot, especialy since its been sitting so long.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:08 PM

it actually DOES only pop when slowing down from high rpms. So should I really worry about this?
Yep definetly sound like your bikes over fueling but id personaly say yes you do need to get it sorted, not only because of power loss, fouling plugs as well as really ****ty gas milage but when a bike sits that long without having the fuel drained they CAN "not nesserseraly will but can" oval emulsion tubes and jets and after my zzr blew a engine because i didnt get mine sorted after it had sat for 2 years id say yes deffinetly get it sorted much cheaper to rebuild carbs (If things have coroded and ovaled) than to buy a new engine, but its not as bad as running it lean, running slightly rich isnt a big problem but if you arent over confident on your knowledge or how much its overfueling then id deffinetly say get it checked by a garage/race set up shop that has a dyno.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:41 PM

It is caused by you accelerating the bike, which pushes more fuel into the carbs, when you suddenly lift of the accelerator the fuel in the carbs is not being used as fast and as such there is some left in there that doesn't burn. This then ends up getting pushed into the exhaust and burns inside the exhaust, which then makes a pop.

Like has been said for that moment the bike is running rich. If it happens all the time get the floats checked and cleaned.