F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Vibration and popping noise when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration and popping noise when stopping

Just bought this 01 F4i.

If I lightly pull the front brakes, I get an awful vibration. At first I was thinking warped rotors... BUT, if I pull harder, it goes away and stops smoothly. Stopping harder should only make the vibration worse if it is the rotors.

So I took the front fender off so I could observe. Looks like the rotors are perfectly straight and the wheel/tire is warped or wobbling, although it could just be different shades of rubber/wear playing tricks on my eyes. I can't notice anything while riding. I only feel it when I am braking lightly. I have a rim w/ a tire being delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get the chance to get it mounted this weekend and see what happens.

Other thing I have happening is when I first apply the brakes, I get a pop or click that I can very easily feel in my hands. I first checked the forks by bouncing on the bike while not moving -- no noise. Then I tried rolling the bike and pressing the brake and I do get the noise. If I release the brake and apply it again, it will pop/click again. The other thing I thought of is 'maybe where the steering assembly clamps around the forks is loose and when I press the brakes, it moves and makes the sound.' I went back outside, sure enough, the left side clamp was a little lose (1/4 turn). I tightened it and tried my rolling brake test again... same noise.

I should be able to work through the vibration problem with the wheel or brake, but if you have any suggestions or easy ways to test components with limited tools, I am all ears. But as for now, I'm kind of leaning toward the axle or bearing right now. I am thinking that the wheel is wobbling and grabbing the rotors hard enough is able to straighten the wheel out...?? Worse come to worse, I replace all the collars, bearings, and such. They're pretty cheap on www.hondapartshouse.com

But the popping that I can feel in the handlebars, I am CLUELESS. Any help on this would be great.

Thanks all in advance!

Last edited by thayerstreaker; 04-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.