CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Pad springs hitting rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pad springs hitting rotors?

I rebuilt the forks, put good rotors on the wheel, cleaned the calipers all up, installed new pads and bled the system. The only snafu along the way is that I bent the right caliper's pad spring while pushing on the pads trying to get the pin in. I straightened it out and was more careful on the subsequent install. It seemed to still have spring to it and was the right shape. All seemed good.

I install the wheel per the FSM steps and the brakes are dragging hard. I loosen up all the bolts and go through the procedure again. This time they're dragging a whole lot less and I figure some running in will get them working swell. I measured the clearance and even the first time I had plenty all the way around, so I don't quite get it. I did tap on the pads some, maybe that helped too.

I finish getting the bodywork done and a couple other odds and ends, then go to push it outside to fire it up and burn off all the grease and paint from the header install. Well, now I hear a metal on metal grinding sound.

I pulled off the right caliper and you can see where the pad spring is being contacted by the rotor, right in the middle. This would follow my bent one, but now with only the left on it still grinds.

Will new pad springs do the trick? Should I just ride it and see if it gets better?

Thanks for any opinions. Cheers

Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 AM

I personally would buy new pad springs and see if it helps. Those little things can't be too expensive but its a pain going back in there a 3rd time. Pretty f3 btw

Old 08-03-2011, 02:38 AM

Nah, I'm just cheap. I've got one coming to replace the one I bent, but I think I'll pick up another at the local shop if they have it, just to get it done. They were $5+ through Bike Bandit.

Thanks for the reply and the compliment. It looks decent in the pics. I've spent a ton of time and money on it over the last few months. I'm gonna ride it tomorrow and see what happens. The grinding is only on the edge of the rotor.

Cheers

Old 08-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Update: Things seems to have worked themselves out after a few miles of riding. They're working like they should now and not making noise. I did pull off the calipers and the R side spring was up, out of position by about 5mm which I corrected. The left looked fine.

When first riding it I was a little worried since they still seemed to be dragging enough to heat up the rotors. I checked first after just a few blocks, and just a couple of front brake applications and they were pretty damned hot. Nearly burn-you hot. They didn't feel like they were dragging much even though they were still making scraping noises. I let them cool down for a bit.

I continued to ride around the neighborhood, stopping every so often to check the rotors, and they were hot, but seemed a little less hot than before. In between checks I was able to do a number of bed-in stops so I hope I got them bedded good.

After 6 or 7 stop sessions, the rotors or the calipers didn't seem to be getting that hot, so I gave it a run up the onramp and a bit of freeway and back home. Fingers crossed it's all good in the hood.

Now, on to the stumble it has before it revs out and the tank vent fix. Ah, fun fun.

Cheers

Old 08-10-2011, 12:52 AM

Glad you got that brake problem fixed. They can be pesky.