CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Hitting neutral out of first =(

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitting neutral out of first =(

The other day I was racing my buddies gsxr with my F2 and twice I got stuck in neutral coming out of first and bounced it off the rev limiter for a second with no load on the engine. What kind of damage can this cause? if any?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:44 AM

Bouncing the rev limiter briefly won't hurt anything, the motor is made to rev high. I would be more concerned with the fact that you're not making it to 2nd. I would suspect either faulty shifting technique or a worn trans. If its the shifting technique, then the FactoryPro "shift kit" might help prevent the worn trans.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:53 AM

What you did there is fine. Hitting the rev limiter happens.

The transmission is actually REALLY easy to drop on these bikes, you can drop it with the engine still in the frame believe it or not! It's all fairly well though out for easy serviceability.

What happens on these older F2's is that the shift dogs tend to get worn out, and so they sometimes don't quite fully engage. The factory pro shift kit tends to cover this up by making your shifts a lot more positive. You can still encounter issues however...

Old 07-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you tear the engine down, try adjusting the shift lever. if you have it too high,
you maybe 'stretching' to fully lift it to the next gear. Ergonomics are often over-looked as a cause for poor performance. ;-)

Ern

Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 AM

Yep every now and then my bike will do the same, especially if I rush it. If i give it a firm kick then it usually shifts fine.

I once hit neutral trying to pull away from a HD rider at the lights so I could change lanes in front of him and the traffic... A little embarrassing but a good bloke and he was cool about it.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does the same from time to time but as MAdHattr said, lowering the shift peg down a little helped me out a lot. Apparently I wasn't lifting up enough in full-tilt 1-2 shift situations, esp when clutchless shifting.

for just runnig around town, I shift a lot slower and use the clutch to make 100% sure.

as Jesse mentions, the dogs on the gears get worn, and 2nd gear is really prone to it as the bike is making a good bit of power usually in hard 1-2 shifts, so it take a bit more abuse.

If it is just worn dogs, not a completely trashed setup, you could look at having your gears undercut buy a machine shop. Probably easiest to find a decent trans set on ebay or wherever, and send those off to be machined, then swap yours out.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 AM

yeah you might want to try lowering it down just a little which is easy to do. mine does the same thing but I have mine up higher than usual

Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Before you tear the engine down, try adjusting the shift lever. if you have it too high,
you maybe 'stretching' to fully lift it to the next gear. Ergonomics are often over-looked as a cause for poor performance. ;-)

Ern
+1. I just installed the H-21 Factory Pro kit and new clutch (no point not). I no longer have issues with shifts or popping out of gear. I adjusted the shifter 2 teeth to lower the lever after the install. Downshifts are a little more inconvientent but upshifts are perfect.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:47 PM

This happens to me often actually (I'm a new rider) I never thought about lowering the shifter, how do you go about that?

Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, same here... Lack of experiance+98tkm on the clock = bad shifts.
I actually considered moving the lever already, but as the teething is pretty coarse, moving it only one teeth is enough to get it to a position where it`s either uncomfortable to try and shift up or it`s hitting my boot cus its so low...

Quick Reply: Hitting neutral out of first =(