CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

overheating issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating issues?

hi all,

I own 1996 CBR600F that I've owned for nearly two years. I use it for every thing from commuting, touring and Sunday rides. Does everything I throw at it with ease and still askes for more. it been totally reliable and it's never missed a beat up until now.

The bike is completely standard except for a manual cam tensioner and an ART end can that's been on there for 3 or 4 months and has about 30k on the clock. oil change 3 months/2k miles ago and full service last may.
3 or 4 times now in the last month it has cut out on me when stopping at junctions and having to wait 10 minutes for it to cool down before it will start up again. all times I've been riding home from work though Guildford to godalming which is about 6 miles (25-35 minutes). I haven't ridden the bike any other time since the problem.

I could understand it if it had been while I was sitting in traffic but its happened after moving (30+ mph) for a couple of miles.
The crank case does feel a little hotter then it should be and I think it maybe running a little bit rich. I've checked all the fluids and basic stuff and all seems fine.

I haven't ridden it in heavy rain but it does sit outside.
I have a feeling the resent weather may have something to do with it and something's got wet that shouldn't have.

basically before I start pulling it apart and chuck money at the problem I just thought I should ask if anyone may have any idea what maybe causing the problem or know of any common faults with this age of CBR?

any advise will be very much appreciated

cheers

Freddie

Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the coolant tube on the right hand side is correctly routed this easily gets trapped by the fairings causing a massive blockage

there could be an air trap in the system so make sure it is correctly bled this can be done by making sure the overflow has a small amount of coolant in so when it gets hot air is let out of the system and coolant is dragged back in to its place when it starts to cool.

that right hand side tube goes down to an engine cover, remove this cover and then remove the part inside (thermostat) this part does go wrong and can be permenantly shut. the way to check it is basically to put it in hot water and see if it opens, if it doesnt open bin it and run your bike without it! without the thermostat it will take a little longer to get warm but wont have an issue of it getting stuck shut.

also are you running coolant or just water? as water itself will rot your cooling system.

if that doesn't fix your problem look at your coolant pump down the bottom left to make sure your pumps fins haven't snapped off. i would buy new o-rings from honda for the pump as i found mine leaked with old o-rings but the thermostat housing didnt