CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Overheating Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Issues

Yesterday on my way home from work, My bike (97 F3) overheated. Temperature outside was about mid 90's, and it didn't really overheat until the last section of my ride, when I was stuck in traffic. When the bike is moving, the temp guage tends to sit at about a quarter of the way up, but if sitting in traffic, it tends to slowly climb till about 3/4 of the way up, never actually in the red area. At around 3/4 the fan kicks on, cools the bike down a little bit, shuts off, and repeats, as it is supposed to.

This issue is that even though the gauge doesn't show it as being terribly hot, the coolant started boiling over. Current coolant is Engine Ice, fresh from this spring.

Ok, so today, before heading home from work, I bypassed the ground on the fan so that it was always on. The bike ran as normal at about 1/4 temp or so while cruising, and never got above the halfway mark while sitting in traffic. No boiling coolant.

SO, should I worry about why the gauge seems to inaccurately read the temp? would a faulty thermostat have an effect on the gauge reading? I'm most likely going to wire in a switch for the fan, so that I have control of it as well as still allowing the bike to turn it on itself if I don't. I might try and get any air out of the lines and maybe replace the radiator cap.

Anyone think I should replace the temp sensor or tear out the thermostat and replace that? Who thinks I should just wire in a switch for the fan and not worry about it. I might borrow an infrared temp gun and play with it see what the actual temp is going in and out of the radiator. Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:57 PM

Well I'm sure other members can be more help than I can, but if I were you I would change my coolant right away, there's been a lot of talk about what kind of coolant to use, so search the forms for that if your not sure.

But as for your temp being higher while idling, that's normal. You're not getting any air flow to cool it down while your sitting there. Ive heard synthetic oils keep your bike cooler at idle, which seems to be true with mine.

I would just change the coolant and if you want your oil too and see how it runs from there.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm seeing some similar symptoms, Tulsa is averaging 102 for the last 3-4 weeks.
It seems to be cropping up a lot on the forums. I'm starting to think that the issue
is just the nature of the beast in really hot weather. If your systems are the least
marginal, the heat is causing some failures. I'm thinking mine is the R/R, but the cause is excessive heat due to the weather.

Anyone have any pro/con on my theory? Is it just too dang hot out there?
Ern

Old 07-22-2011, 05:36 PM

The coolant is fresh from this spring, and it's not cheapo coolant, so I don't really see that as the problem. However, it is possible their are air pockets in the system, so I might try and burp any air out the system.

Oil is HP4 from earlier this season, maybe only 1000 miles on it. The bike runs great, and I am aware that the temp will climb if the bike is sitting, that is not what bothers me. My problem is with the electrical and mechanical side of things, specifically the fact that the fan kicks on once the bike is basically overheating, not at around ~200 degrees like it should.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
I'm seeing some similar symptoms, Tulsa is averaging 102 for the last 3-4 weeks.
It seems to be cropping up a lot on the forums. I'm starting to think that the issue
is just the nature of the beast in really hot weather. If your systems are the least
marginal, the heat is causing some failures. I'm thinking mine is the R/R, but the cause is excessive heat due to the weather.

Anyone have any pro/con on my theory? Is it just too dang hot out there?
Ern

I haven't had any overheating issues, but since it's been REALLY hot here for Ohio weather, I have noticed my fan kicking a lot more than it usually does.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:56 PM

Ive noticed my temp gauge going from 176-180 cruising above 40mph... to 225 in about 30 seconds the last few days, but then again... 105 degree air temp is pretty warm...

Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 PM

I noticed the needle on my bike starting to climb when I was stuck in traffic yesterday, the thing is it was quite a cold day, maybe 10 degrees (50 fahrenheit). The needle normally sits below 1/4 but was climbing up to just over half way before I got out of the traffic and it started going down again.

Does anyone know at what point the fan is supposed to come on?

Old 08-19-2011, 02:59 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id recommend using waterwetter, just a few cap-fulls or so, and then complete distilled water.

ive found that to be the best solution for summer temperature here in AL.

see if you can wash out/ clean your rad on the inside with distilled water, and on the outside with a hose for any debris.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 AM

Here in Central Texas mine runs about halfway while going down the road but when I hit traffic which is often it goes almost to the top. It hasn't cut out or started acting like its having problems. 110 Days suck

Old 08-19-2011, 02:42 PM

It sounds like the cap. I would have it tested or get a new one. If the system won't hold pressure then it will boil more quickly.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Overheating Issues