CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

New Bike, problems starting...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bike, problems starting...

This is my first bike so I am a little motorcycle retarded, so forgive me.
Here's the situation.

Bought a 96 two days ago, the guy rode it up here, everything seemed to check out so I bought it. Come yesterday the bike doesn't start after I try a whole bunch, seems like the battery might be weak, and the dude said that the bike had been sitting for some time and that he thought the battery might need to be replaced and the carbs might also need to be cleaned. So I get a new battery, charge it up and throw it in, it cranks much faster now, and the bike trys to turn over but dies instantly. I figured the plugs were foulded from trying to start it so many times. I tried to take out the plugs to check em out, but could only manage to get the one out cause of how little room there is between the head and the air ram box thing. (is there a special plug tool for this? cause i was just using an extension and a socket, which was a pain). I had no idea how to take out air ram thing, I had the tank off and everything, so I gave up on the others. Well the one plug was wet, dried it off and put the bike back together. After some more efforts and attempts to pop start it, the bike finally starts, its rough but its running. Let it warm up, take it for a cruise. It stalls a few minutes later at a stop, and takes a few more minutes for it to start back up. I take it home and park it for the night. Its doing the same thing this morning.

What would you suggest?

Old 07-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Bike, problems starting...

Could be a number of things. But try this 1st! When you go to start your from cold, don't touch the throttle, turn on the choke and hit the starter button, leave the choke on till the bike starts up, as the revs rise, puch the choke in about half way & wait for say 30 seconds. then you can turn off the choke, and give the throttle a couple of really unnecssary blips (cos we all like doing it) I pull the clutch in a few times to warm the plates and get the oil moving.
It really sounds to me like your flooding the poor bugger & thats wot on your plugs (fuel)
As for the spark plug tool, do a search here about that one, & yes its a total pain in the **** getting them out. Which is a real downer cos it sounds like you need a new set!! check the condition of the air filter as well.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:03 PM

Ditto to the above...I would also add that if it was sitting for a while there is a better than average chance that the carbs could need a good cleaning. If they aren't too bad off you may be able to bet by with just throwing some Seafoam or other carb cleaner (the stuff you just dump in the tank) and getting it out for a good run...

Dennis

Old 07-26-2007, 12:54 AM

One of the spark plugs is cross threaded at an angle into the head. awesome. the wrench wont go on it either now, so it just sits there.

I'm guessing I have to rip everything apart so i can get straight at it, try to get it out somehow, and then retap the hole if it isnt too f'd up. anyone know how to get that damn air ram thing out? I've had the bike for 2 days.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:55 AM

http://www.stephygee.com/ go there download the online manual it helps