General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike starting problems REALLY WEIRD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike starting problems REALLY WEIRD!!!

OK this is gonna take me a while to explain the experience i had the other day with my bike. First off i have a 2005 cbr600rr haven't had any problems with it, i just got all the fluids changed last week. Ok so yesterday i drove to school, doctor, then to Walgreens, bike was running absolutely fine, then when i went to start my bike in the walgreens parkinglot it wouldnt turn over it just kept cranking, so i kept trying then i tried popping the clutch while pressing the ignition (I know this is bad, sorry) wouldnt turn over. I kept doing this until my battery was dead, then tried to push start it nothing would work so i had to walk it home. When i got home i plugged it into my charger and tried to start it and engine wouldnt go (when I turned key to ON the headlight wouldnt work and engine wouldnt turn over). So i was sure it had to be a gas problem or maybe wiring so i took all the plastic off while my battery was charging. When i got everthing off i figured id try to start it jsut for grins and it worked (when i turned the key to on the headlights turned on and engine started up with ignition). Hoping it wasnt jsut a fluk i turned it off then tried it again, nothing. So i tried starting fluid, nothing, so its not a gas problem. I checked that all the wiring and fuses were good, they were, so i jsut threw it back together and let it charge over night. Ok so here is the weird part, i set my charger to start tried to start it, nothing; i changed the charger to trickle, nothing; i took the charger off, nothing; so then just for fun i took teh battery out and jsut plugged my charger right into my wires, turned the key and pressed the ignition, and ta da the headlight were now on! but obiously the engine didnt start, bc i had teh battery out. So i put the battery back in put the charger away and it started right up, i turend it off, and it started up again. So i road it around came back shut it off then turned it on again worked fine. So now i just figured it must be a bad battery or somthing i drove it 20miles to my machanic no problem. They ran test on everything: regulator, rectifier, stator, all the wiring, relay switchs, battery, everything was to spec. I drove it all around today no problem at all, my only worry is this will happen again. ANYONE KNOW WHY THIS HAPPEND? if so please tell me. Also ive just hit 34000 miles so i need new spark plugs but i dont think taht caused this, also my blinkers dont blink and the bike shop that changed my fluids said that might be from one of the boards or somthign like that on the bike, so that might have caused this and the direct charge some how fixed it idk but teh blinkers still jsut stay solid. Im confuessed and the ppl at the bike shop were too, so plz help. One more thing that happend when my bike wouldnt start is that when i turned the key to ON and put the kill swithc on and pressed the ignition the blinkers would turn on and the back light for my display would turn on, but no headlights, idk if that even matters just thot i would mention that.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bike starting problems REALLY WEIRD!!!

1st off, if your lights & ignition aren't working, then its not fuel. Electrical problems can be weird, could have been a loose connection somewhere that you have pushed back while you were rooting around for the problem. The battery could be cactus, but you won't know for sure until/if it dies again.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM

the battery is odd, but your starting issue sounds like perhaps the bike got knocked over and the tip over sensor was tripped, which you may have reset by disconnecting the battery.

the signals are easy, your shops people are retards. the turn signals are on a flasher relay, and chances are you've got either some LEDs somewhere, or your signal relay is bad.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 PM

The bike shop tested the battery they said its perfectly fine, but the battery being bad does make the most sense to me. Also what does cactus mean? i assume it means its dry. thanx for response tho

Old 09-23-2008, 08:54 PM

Well, if the battery tested ok, I'd say its not the culprit. is it possible that the bike was knocked over or something like thhat while you were in the store?

I dont know much about these newer bikes as well as I do older bikes.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 PM

re-lube the front wiring harness

It's a safety feature: The bike will not allow itself to run if the front fairing is not attached to the bike. I had the same problem with my F4i.

The easy way to test this hypothsis (well for the F4i anyway). Try to start the bike with the headlight fuse unplugged.

This was the same story with my bike a year or two ago. Sometimes she'd start, soemtimes she wouldn't. I lubed up these pins and she fired right up! You can see (with me) that the grounding pin was the culprit

Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 PM

Thanks so much im going to try that right now ill post if it worked.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: cbrnoob

Thanks so much im going to try that right now ill post if it worked.
check.

while you're at it, re-lube all your connections. it's supposed to be done once a year anyway

Old 09-26-2008, 06:40 PM

Update: I cleaned off my connections and lubed them up but bike still wouldn't work right so i changed my battery and its all better now. I guess it was a combination of a bad connection and weak battery. Thanx for the help, you are my hero flyou