CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Need some help, getting bike ready for summer !

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help, getting bike ready for summer !

Hey how is everyone, im new to the forum and was reading past topics and haven't quite found one regarding my issue.. Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Here it goes..

Last summer i barely had time to ride my cbr, so it sat outside under a bike cover for most of the summer. I had gas leak into my exhaust system apparently because this year (a week ago) when i took it out i had to drain my exhaust and replace my spark plugs, which were all all corroded from the gas. The leak problem is fixed, but now lies another problem. I started the bike about 2 hours ago and it started up fine, sounded great for sitting so long. It eventually puttered out and died, so i tried to re-start it, at which time wouldn't start. I had a buddy push me down the street and i popped the clutch and it started up but the sound changed drastically, it almost sounds like its puddering, and if i dont keep an idle on the throttle at all times it will just die. It refuses to start without a jump. What could possibly be the next step to fixing this problem ?? Any help would be appreciated.... Thanks !

Jason

Old 04-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Default RE: Need some help, getting bike ready for summer !

Replace the battery and get a battery tender.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:57 PM

the battery gives it enough power to try and start it, it just wont turn over... It seems like something in the system is stopping it, should i drain the gas and put new gas in ?? and try that, maybe theres water in the gas from sitting so long ??? The bike just putters perfusely and doesnt necessarly die, it just putters out, still having full power to run the starter but she just wont turn over unless the clutch is popped...

Old 04-07-2008, 05:05 PM

Well then, if I were you, first try pulling the spark plugs and checking to see if they're any good. If they're still sparking, pull the carbs and clean them and drain the tank and put in fresh fuel...you may have to do that stuff anyways.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:41 PM

I would say check the battery too... i had a problem like that in the beginning of last season where the bike sounded like it was cranking fine but jsut wouldnt start, or would start and then die. I threw it on the battery charger for a few hours and it started right up and ran great. Just a suggestion before you try any other more costly fixes

Old 04-07-2008, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the input... i really appreciate it. I think ill try draining the tank, putting fresh fuel in, and changing the oil... maybe theres gas in the oil from it leaking... Ill get back to ya and let ya know how i make out =)... thanks again !

Old 04-07-2008, 07:55 PM

If you already changed the plugs I would drain the fuel and and try starting it with the throttle wide open to remove any old gas from the engine then put in fresh high octane and try to start it again is what i would do first. Especially if it sat for a long time without fuel stabilizer. And you probly already know that the F3 requires a minimum of 91 octane. This should help you out as it did me when i had the same problem just last week. Hope all goes well and easy for you

Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 PM

I will def try that first... thanks for the tip !

Old 04-07-2008, 10:06 PM

fresh gas + Seafoam fuel system cleaner. Change oil. Charge or replace battery. Check to make sure battery cable ends (both ends of each) to make sure they are clean and tight. Dont forget the choke helps it start. Pull air filter and make sure nothing is in there, sitting for awhile may have attracted animals.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:26 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the help... i cleaned out the carbs, changed the oil, and filter, put fresh gas in, and changed the plugs, and it runs like a champ ! Appreciate the help to all =)