CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Killswitch activates on touch instead of click

Old 03-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Killswitch activates on touch instead of click

Hi Forum,

First of all thanks for all the advice on my previous post. I've managed to sort everything out .

Today when I stopped at the gas station I wanted to turn of my bike with the killswitch. I noticed that the bike 'dies' by just touching the switch with my finger, instead of clicking/toggling the switch to the off position. I tested this a couple of times and every time I apply just the smallest amount of pressure to the switch the bike dies.

It scares me a bit because I don't want this to happen when hitting a bump in the road.

Have you guys encountered this problem before, and do you have any tips/advice on how to solve it? Is it possible to open the switch up or should I look for a new switch?

Old 03-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nilsNL
Hi Forum,

First of all thanks for all the advice on my previous post. I've managed to sort everything out .

Today when I stopped at the gas station I wanted to turn of my bike with the killswitch. I noticed that the bike 'dies' by just touching the switch with my finger, instead of clicking/toggling the switch to the off position. I tested this a couple of times and every time I apply just the smallest amount of pressure to the switch the bike dies.

It scares me a bit because I don't want this to happen when hitting a bump in the road.

Have you guys encountered this problem before, and do you have any tips/advice on how to solve it? Is it possible to open the switch up or should I look for a new switch?
I’d just replace the whole switch

Old 03-13-2018, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Gunk
I’d just replace the whole switch
Thanks Gunk, I ordered the switch.

Would you happen to know where the switch cables plug in to? I tried looking it up in the manual but is says nothing about it. The switch ( img attached ) has some connectors. I can try to follow the old cables but perhaps you know where I can search.

Perhaps I can even just replace the top part of the switch and leave the rest on, guess i'll find out when it arrives.

new switch

Old 03-13-2018, 09:16 AM

Most likely under the tank. Just follow the wires.

The wires inside the switch are soldered on and wouldn't be worth the hassle of taking apart. Plus, there's a chance you may mess it up. You'll see how it's set up internally once you remove it.

Last edited by trachito; 03-13-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Agreed best solution to replace and not repair. Might give mine a tickle to check now. Never know ?
Leave your replacement switch intact. Your connections, should you have a like for like component, will only be the length of cable away.
If the original cable becomes part of the loom, leave it alone until you’ve proved your new switch is all good.
Some nice black insulation tape would be handy to finish the job off.
Best of luck mate

Old 03-22-2018, 07:20 AM

Yup something has gone t!ts up in that there switch unit. Id have a look myself but if you have ordered one don't bother. Id keep the old one though as you never know. The connections are behind the front fairing if i remember correctly. Don't mod the cable it will be a nightmare! just replace the whole thing as its just plug and play!

Ill have a look when I get home and let you know where the connectors are later on.

Last edited by BwanaTumbo; 03-22-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by BwanaTumbo
Yup something has gone t!ts up in that there switch unit. Id have a look myself but if you have ordered one don't bother. Id keep the old one though as you never know. The connections are behind the front fairing if i remember correctly. Don't mod the cable it will be a nightmare! just replace the whole thing as its just plug and play!

Ill have a look when I get home and let you know where the connectors are later on.
Thanks bro!

Still need to swap the connector. Something is indeed wrong within the switch. Today I noticed the lights will flicker when I tap the switch with my finger. Hopefully it'll be easy enough to swap it. I'm a bit scared because the manual says to disconnect the throttle cable at the carbs in order to remove the switch. I rather don't and see if I can get enough free play to leave the throttle cable in the carbs.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:03 AM

Hi nilsNL,
Yep they connect behind the fairing....... I'm sure you can get away with it without disconnecting the throttle cables. If not you have to take the airbox off too!

Don't be scared its an easy job even if you do have to remove the cable. And we are here to help out if you get in a pickle!

Old 03-24-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by BwanaTumbo
Hi nilsNL,
Yep they connect behind the fairing....... I'm sure you can get away with it without disconnecting the throttle cables. If not you have to take the airbox off too!

Don't be scared its an easy job even if you do have to remove the cable. And we are here to help out if you get in a pickle!
Thanks bro! Swapped it today with some help from a friend. For other people interested: By taking off the clip-on there's enough wiggle room to leave the throttle cable attached to the carbs. New switch works perfect .

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2018, 09:57 AM

Sorted!
Sounds like you are getting there with her........